I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The back side of the guide foot
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2001 10:13PM

I guess I'm not sure what to call it. When I'm applying epoxy to a guide wrap, one weak spot is what I'm calling the "back side" of the guide foot. When the rod is rotating, I let the epoxy run off my brush and onto the thread. All is well and good as I follow the wrap up onto the guide foot, but when I come over the "back side" of the wrap, I have a hard time bringing the epoxy right down along the thread edge and onto the blank.

I can get a nice straight even edge on the beginning portion of the wrap (off the guide foot - on the blank itself), but the termination on the guide foot is prone to problems. I try as much as possible to follow the contour of the wrap as the rod is rotating, but moving the brush like that makes it tough to get a perfectly smooth and consistent edge.

Am I making any sense?

Any tips out there?

Bob Petti
Endicott, NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The back side of the guide foot
Posted by: Sean Tate (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 11, 2001 11:40PM

I stop the rod for a few seconds, then slowly hand-turn it and dab my finish both behind the foot (where the twist / lift starts), and on the edge of the blank / wrap seam. I then get the rod rotating again, and use the tip of the brush to make sure the finish ie evenly distributed on that end, much like you do with letting the the finish run onto the blank. At this point, the bristles arent touching the wrap or blank at all, just pushing finish around to ensure proper coverage. The rod turning by itself will do most of the work for you, I think.

Posted by: Ron P. (---.saber.net)
Date: December 12, 2001 02:12AM

I was turned onto a neat idea and tried it on my last two rods. Apply your epoxy to the guide wraps as usual. Don't try to get the finish onto either end of the wrap until you have applied the finish as you like it to the main part of the wrap. Then, with a toothpick selected for its fine point, dab a little epoxy onto the tip and while rotating the rod by hand, apply this to the edge of the wrap. By using the wrap itself as a guide to set the toothpick against, you get a really clean line. Be careful not to apply too much at a time. The epoxy sort of melts into the edges and blends. I also apply a touch where the guide comes in contact with the rod to keep water from getting under the wraps. It was hard explaining, I hope this is clear, if not email me and I'll try again.

Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 12, 2001 07:15AM

Dear Bob: Like Sean and Don hinted. Keeping the rod in free spin mode while applying finish, should help you with this problem. The toothpick in the tunnels, I do first while the epoxy is still loose. Cause as you go the epoxy stiffens up. Now come back and in free spin apply your finish to the inside. This can give you fits especially on those stralth finish blanks because they show everything and really call for the best of our rodmaking abilities. Often I shave down a toothpick with a razor . I do a flat one micro paddle and a needlepoint one to get in that tight spot. Use the paddle to do the edge and use the needle for those pesky corners. Good Luck.

Posted by: Ted Shuck (198.243.73.---)
Date: December 12, 2001 01:31PM

I only hand turn, so this isn't so much of an issue for me. <;^)

I try to start placing a glob of finish on top of each guide foot first. This allows it to soak in a fill the void along the guide foot while I am working on total coverage of the other wraps. I find this makes a big difference in getting the finish to cover the feet evenly without starving later as it continues to soak in around the guide foot.

Ted

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 12:13AM

Bob,
When using your current method you can also try a spatula. Use the pointed end and hold it sideways and let the knife edge run alongside the thread wraps. It will take care of the problem you experienced. It will cover the edge and overlap the smallest amout of the blank. It will also fill in the tunnels if needed. It is a fine tool for many uses.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Mike Moran (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 10:43AM

You said you can get the first side fine and then the other side suffers. Can you reverse your motor direction and then get on the other side of the rod? Then it will be the "first" side again. Another option I use is to limit the distance you wrap up the guide, this lessens the "tunnel" effect. Most single foot guides have a contoured guide foot that allows the thread to hold the guide better. If not I have taken dremel bit and made a small half moon in each SIDE of the guide foot, giving the thread some contour to grab. When you do this and only wrap on the flat part of the guide, your finish is perfect. On two foot guides the solution is self explanatory.

Mike Moran
Alleghany Anglers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster