I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How tight to pack threads on guide wraps???
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 11, 2001 04:11AM

My first couple of rods, I really packed the threads together tighly, and have honestly had no problems.

Since I'm working with black blanks and black thread, I've recently not been packing my threat as tightly. Seems to me that the epoxy penetrates the thread a little better, and that the guides are perhaps better bonded to the blank. (I'm not using color preserver on these rods) Also, it seems that I can flame my wraps for a lighter finish, with no ill effects.

Does this sound right to you?

Of course, I understand if you have contrasting colors you HAVE to pack your thread tightly to assure solid color, without see-through.

Thanks in advnace.

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How tight to pack threads on guide wraps???
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 11, 2001 09:49AM

Tony: I always pack the threads as tight as I can on the guides. I also use size "A" thread for the underwraps and overwraps. Before putting on the overwraps, I apply a thin coat or two of finish to the whole underwrap. I like the look of the overwrap better with tightly packed threads. To me, they look like tape. John

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 11, 2001 04:18PM

If your not getting good pentreatration on tigh wraps then you need to be useing thinner finish, or just try working the finish in better.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 12, 2001 06:28AM

Dave and John,

Thanks for the replies!

On my very first rod with super-packed wraps, I put on a very thin, flamed coat of epoxy, and I ended up having to put on a second coat.

On my latest rod, same blank, with less-packed wraps, I only put on a very thin, flamed coat of epoxy, and it worked very well.

In theory, it SEEMS that a slightly looser pack will allow more epoxy in around the threads, making for a better bond, and less need for build up.

Does this sound correct?

TH

P.S. The wraps look the same on the two rods, as far as I can tell.

Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2001 12:31PM

If you wrap it too tight, its hard to pack - if you wrap it too loose its hard to keep the wrap together.

I use flexcoat and "flame it" like you do. On most of the two part epoxy finishes temp is the most critical element in getting penetration. I have never had any problems with penetration with the mix at the right temperature. If your coating is to cool [hard to mix is a dead giveaway] then it wont penetrate as well - if it is to hot [to much hardner] it runs and requires second coats. And anytime you get into second coats you are more likely to lose the entire wrap on the rod and have to refinish, rewrap, etc.

If i know I am going to being coating rods, I set the bottles prior to mixing in a location that is safe but warms it up in the winter. This is because I do alot of coating in my garage. GEt the picture?

I would practice on a few scraps until I got the hang of it - its tough to be re wrapping all the time.

good luck!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster