I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SINGLE FOOT FLY GUIDES
Posted by: John Lasky (208.136.18.---)
Date: December 10, 2001 04:20PM

Ive read many heated discussions on other boards in the past concerning single foot vs double for fly rods. are there any real advantages to single foot guides?

I have always used double foot and can see how some folks say that single foot guides are a lot more work but are they?

also on rod wts 3-8 is the wt savings of single foot guides worth looking at or is it just a matter of personal taste.

Ive noticed most fly rod mfgs are still using double foot guides. I guess its hard to break the traditional look that people identify to that of a fly rod and keep sales up although st Croix is doing newfangled things.

Im pondering trying single foot guides but if its only a personal issue with no big benifit I may just stay with what I know.

As always Many thanks and happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SINGLE FOOT FLY GUIDES
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 05:04PM

There are huge benefits to using ceramic guides, either single or doubled foot, on a fly rod. Same as there are in using them on any type rod. A high quality ceramic insert will not groove or wear and thus will not cause undo wear on your fly line. Some highly polished ceramics are much slicker than any hard chrome or otherwise coated wire snake guides. Do they offer increased casting distance? Sometimes, yes. But increased casting distance, the kind you can really measure, has to do with many other variables as well.

A guide with a single leg is plenty strong and requries only 1/2 the number of wraps as do those with two legs. Most good single foot ceramic guides also cost more than snake guides or single leg wire type guides.

Are they lighter? In some cases yes, in some cases no. It depends upon the sizing and number and how short you keep the wrap extensions. I have weight similar sized sets of the Fuji SIC and Cermet with titanium frames against closely matched sets of snakes and traditional type strippers, with the wraps (wrapped/finished and then cut off to use for weighing purposes) and the the Fuji's were almost always lighter by a bit. Some of the weight savings was in the wrap and finish for sure. This will of course vary with the particular type ceramic single foots you are working with - there are many different brands and styles.

So to answer your question, if you look at the whole package - strength, ring slickness, durability, weight, etc., you have what amounts to a better set-up, but at a greater cost. How much better depends on many things. Personally, I will use nothiing else. Others, however, stay with snake guides and feel they have a great set-up as well.

Posted by: Ed Kelly (---.pompano.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 07:48PM

I have some related questions. I am going to be building an 8/9 wt Loomis (on an F1088/9 GL3). I am considering using the Fuji Titanium/SiC single foot guides but I have not been able to find any information on what sizes to use. How do the ring sizes compare to snake guide sizes?

Does Loomis require underwraps on these blanks? I seem to recall hearing that failure to underwrap on certain blanks voided the warranty.

Ed

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2001 07:59PM

Don't worry about how they size up next to snakes. That's a common set-up for light saltwater here and I like to use a set that goes like - 16, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, top (8). The first two are double foot spinning style with high frame. The 8 ring should be more than large enough for what you want to do.

I think the underwrap thing only applied to the GLX series. I have never underwrapped any of my GL3's and the only one that has been broken was due to somebody's foot.

Posted by: Ed Kelly (---.pompano.net)
Date: December 16, 2001 04:36PM

Thanks for the reply. Did you really mean to use nine guides or did you miss one (presuming you are talking about a 9' rod). Most 9' fly rods have 10 guides, some have 11.

Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster