I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

HELP with labels
Posted by: david (---.TNJAC.USIT.NET)
Date: December 10, 2001 09:57AM

How do most builders make labels for their rods?
Are the Alps printers best for the job and what kind of paper or decals work the best . How does epoxy affect ink and glue?
thanks for nyour heip!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP with labels
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2001 11:13AM

David
I use the alps and for me it is the best BUT the only way they are available is thru @#$%& and as of late many have arrived with problems although they claim the printers work fine in the ads, if you would like more info on the Alps e mail direct
John

Posted by: Jim Levy (66.152.208.---)
Date: December 10, 2001 02:29PM

After years of experimenting, I broke down and bought an Alps last year. Yes, they are the best for the application.
I have found that the best medium for printing on is wet transfer decal material. These are the thinest and all but completely disappear on all color rod blanks. I have not experience problems with the decals yellowing.

Date: December 10, 2001 03:07PM

Jim The one time you will experience yellowing is if the decal is used over white either the blank or thread the decal will yellow far more then the sourounding area covered by the finish, latley I have switched from walthers decal paper to that supplied by the decal connection,either are excellent transfer material with the latter being slightly easier to work with.
John

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 06:06PM

I have done some research on these Alps printers and I found out they have a lot of problems with these printers.. There are other printers that will do the job but the only printer I find to print white is the Alps.. Buy you can always use gold instead of white, most Rod Companies decals are in Gold.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Jim Ellis (---.co.palm-beach.fl.us)
Date: December 10, 2001 06:08PM

John,
I sent you a sheet of decal paper and was wondering if you had a chance to use it yet??
Jim

Date: December 10, 2001 09:30PM

Jim see above post re papers
John

Posted by: Kevin M. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2001 07:54PM

I've not seen any reports of problems with the ALPS printers. I know they are not meant to be used as office printers for papers and text but that they will do some things that ink jets won't. I have a friend who is a model builder and he makes decals for his scratch built models. They look great. I don't see any reason why you couldn't make custom rod decals with it just as easy. His is going on 5 years old now and unless something has happened to it recently it is still going strong. If I could justify one of them I'd probably buy one.

Date: December 11, 2001 11:46PM

Kevin the alps printers MD1000- 1300 and the 5000 have been discountinued by Alps at this time the only support available is new drivers. again I repeat the way to acquire them is purchased used or thru @#$%& sales.a few of us have been using the printers for 3-4 years with no problems.The printers are excellent for almost any task but are much slower then an ink jet.The largest problem with them today is many of them being offered for sale or as lots on @#$%& sites do have technical problems and alps at this time will only replace the damaged printers with refurbished units at a pre set price that is fairly high.You make your bid and you take your chance.With bids in evcess of $250 for the MD1000 and a possibility of having to spend another $175 plus shipping to get a refurbushed unit if the original is damaged might be to high a price to pay.A number of firms will make decals to your specks for a lot less.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster