I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding check size
Posted by: Tore Nilsen (---.ti.telenor.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 09:26PM

I'll be amazed if any of you know the answer to this, but nontheless:
what size winding check should I use for a Sage XP 590 4 piece? I'm still waiting for the blank, and I want to order everything else, so that I can start building the minute it gets here.

Guess this one is left unanswered.....

:o)
Tore

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding check size
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 10:05PM

Hi Tore: I use thread to make my own winding check
Bob

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 10:42PM

Tore

The size not only depends on the blank but how long the reel seat and grip are. Depending on thier length, the end of the grip will end at a different piont on the taper. You could order a variety of sizes of the rubber winding checks. They stretch and one size fits a span of diameters. But you would have to have a rough idea of the blank diameter. Nickel silver checks can be reemed out slightly for a good fit. But you would really have to narrow down you guess of the diameter, unless you can afford to buy a pile of nickel silver checks. Or, measure the diameter of the blank after you have fitted the cork rings. Call your supplier and have them "over-night" you the right check. Mean while, glue up and clamp the grip on the rod. Epoxy should cure for 24 hours any way.

Bill Doherty

Date: December 09, 2001 11:14PM

Thanx Bill!

Didn't think of the grip length, tapering etc.
Guess I'll have to wait till the grip is glued on, like you say.

Best,
Tore

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 02:37AM

The best thing to do is when you order the blank buy all the componets for the blank from the same place, unless you like paying shipping twice.. I bet if you was to order componets from Custom tackle or a place that has that blank in stock could fit the winding check for you.. I have bought a couple of those blanks from Bob at Custom Tackle and he fot the winding check for me.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: pablo alday (193.72.252.---)
Date: December 10, 2001 09:48AM

Hi Tore,
I would tend to agree with Davesrod. However, your case is not that difficult. If you go the Sage or Custom tackle Supply site, you will find that the butt diameter for the blank you ordered is 0.36. Assuming you wanted nickel silver check, I would, for example, go to a site that carries Struble components. In this case Custom Tackle Supply, there you will find sizes for winding checks. For example, #23=0.36; #22=0.344; and 21=0.328 etc. If you do not mind paying for two checks, then I would recomend 22 and 21. With these two you will find what you need. If you only want to pay for one, I would recomend 22. If the fit is loose, you can build up with thread or tape or anything you can think of. I am not absolutely sure if the two measurement (butt and check) are the same unit, but I think they are. I hope this gets you started with your order.
Pablo

Date: December 10, 2001 11:49AM

Thanks Pablo!!
Great advice, everyone!

I generally try to find all the components here in Norway to minimize shipping costs. What I do is that I seek out the things I want on the net, then I try to find the components at a Norwegian dealer. Not always that easy...... Often they have one thing, but are short of another. I could order a set, but I want it to be special, with hardwood inlays and so forth.

I have everything now, except the check, but thanks to you guys (Pablo!) I'm soon "checked in".

Again, Great Site!!

:o)
Tore

Make your own?
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2001 08:46PM

Have you considered making your own wood winding check out of the same wood you are going to use for the inlays or seat insert? Just a thought.

Re: Make your own?
Posted by: Tore MN (---.ti.telenor.net)
Date: December 12, 2001 08:18AM

I've thought about it, but I wouldn't know the procedures.

Tore

Re: Make your own?
Posted by: FlyDoctor (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 14, 2001 04:45PM

If you don't have access to a caliper for measuring the diameter of your blank to size the winding check, heres an easy way to get at it. First remember from geometry that the circumference of a circle is calculated as Pi * radius. So all you have to do is take a pipece of thread and wrap it around the blank at the point where the check will go and then measure the length of the thread--that's the circumference. Divide it by Pi (found on your calculator) and you'll have the radius. Double that and you have the diameter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster