I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather Inlays
Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2001 08:16AM

Feathers are on the way, I've read everything on the board re the actual inlay techniques and I am looking forward to the arrival of the latest issue of Rodmaker which I understand has a new article about feather art. I'm itching to get started trying my hand at doing the inlays.

I have subscribed to Rodmaker for a coupla of years and have ordered all of the available back issues, Unfornately, the Jan/Feb issue with Russ Gooding's article was sold out by the time I ordered the back issues.

Is there anyone out there that would photo copy the article and mail it to me? I would more than glad to pay for the postage and copies.

Thanks and God Bless,
Gerald W. Mccasland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather Inlays
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 09:17AM

Couple of things. First, it is illegal to photocopy any articles in any magazine (not just RodMaker) and send it to anyone for any purpose. I don't look for the FBI to come bursting through your door if they do, but you have another avenue. Russ Gooding was allowed to retain the rights to the article and thus can send you a copy if he wishes. To my knowledge he has done that for some people and would likely do so for you if you contact him at his website - Golden Witch (he is listed as a sponsor to the left).

Next, there is no feather article in the last or newest issue of RodMaker to my knowledge. But, Russ will be doing an update of his original inlay article at some point in the very near future.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to use this board's search feature to find plenty of information on the technique as used by many different builders.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2001 09:58AM

Tom makes a good point re the magazine article and not being allowed to copy with out the authors permission.
I did an article for a local paper for the deaf and hard of hearing, the national organization would not run the article nationally without my permission and the local publisher ,some people take this very seriously.
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 10:14AM

John,

You are mostly correct and there are some very good reasons why this is illegal, although most people just assume that all publishers are mean spirited. To clarify, the author turns over the rights of his or her article to the publisher at time of publication and it is the publisher who must grant permission should anyone wish to copy or distribute an article. In the case of the feather inlay article, Russ and I dicussed it and he was allowed to retain the rights to the article, I own the rights to the layout of the article but am not going to split hairs over it. Russ is free to do whatever he wishes with it and I know he has graciously sent copies to those who have asked.

Because I have had so many requests for this particular article, Russ and I have again discussed what we might do and we both agreed that rather than just run a reprint of the former article, he would do an updated version with some new information and techniques that weren't available at the time the first article ran.

Look for it sometime next year, which suddenly is just around he corner.

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 02:44AM

The Feather inlays are real easy, the hardest part is figuring ou which feathers will hold their color, it also helps if you are a Flytyer.. I am not a flytyer so I do noy have a big collection of feathers, I do know that duck and goose feathers dont work to good, buy you can always use ritz dye to dye feathers.. Most of my feather inlays are done with Jungle Cock ,Golden Pheasant, and Peacock, but I am sure there are more feathers you can use maybe some other people will share what feathers they use on their inlays.. Thanks Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster