I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

choke guide
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 11:11AM

I have the static deflection wired the "old way", but I am still sort of unclear on how exactly to locate the choke guide for the "new concept".
thanks in advance for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: choke guide
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 07, 2001 11:22AM

The choke guide is located about 4 inches after the first stipper guide. I assume this is the "choke guide" you are referring to. Typically one size smaller than the first stripper. Bob, correct me if I am wrong.

Date: December 07, 2001 01:14PM

no, I mean the choke guide for a spinning rod set up.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 07, 2001 02:10PM

Jeff,
Do you have the back issue of RodMaker that explains the idea of establishing the choke guide point for a spinning reel setup?
Maybe Tom K. will jump in here and give his best explaination about how this is done.

One thing to keep in mind is that the setup is done with the reel that will be matched to the rod being built. Maybe Tom would have some comments about substituting another reel might affect the particular performance.?

Rich

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.atomic.net)
Date: December 07, 2001 03:22PM

Most spinning reels have about a 4 degree tilt toward the rod. Put the reel that you're going to use on the rod. Use a long straight edge along the line of the mainshaft of the reel. The point that this straight edge intersects with the rod is the location of the choke guide. By the way this doesn't work with the Penn SS series, as they don't angle toward the rod at all.

Date: December 07, 2001 03:31PM

lynn, do you put the guide there right on that point, or would you want it slightly towards the butt so the line ends up shooting through the ring of the guide? and when you do test casting and setting up the rest of the guides, do you move that one too, or is that where it belongs and that's that?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 07, 2001 03:39PM

You can put it there at the intersection point or move it back just a tad so the line is in a perfect straight path. A half inch or so really makes little if any difference. From that point on out, use the same size guide as the choke guide (These should be the smallest guides you plan on using anyway) and from the choke guide back to the reel use the table or straightedge to help you select or place the guides. The guides shoul all be of a size and height so that each guide touches the edge of the table. This gives you your straight line path.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.atomic.net)
Date: December 07, 2001 03:41PM

The choke guide is normally a very low frame guide that sits close to the rod, so there is very little difference. Generally I don't move the choke guide from that position, but as you know there are very few hard and fast rules in rodbuilding.

Date: December 07, 2001 04:28PM

ok, problem #2 following this advice, and my back issue of rodmaker, The choke guide ends up being only about 4 or 5 inches from the tip! it is a short rod. Loomis sg641imx, about 5'4" with the handle. what to do now? find another reel? or is this the best I can do with a short rod like this? I am afraid that going by this method I am going to end up using bigger guides than what I thought I could get away with.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 06:32PM

Nope, you're okay. If that's where it falls, that's where it falls. I'm guessing your using a pretty light rig with light line. So you can probably go down to a size 6. That puts you at a small tip top, and a #6 and then up from there back to the reel. You'll still come out with less weight on the tip area than the old way would have required.

I would guess you'll end up with something like a concept 20 high, 16 high, 10 high, 8 high and the low 6 and tip. I'm guess of course as I would have to have your blank and reel here to know for sure. Just make sure the guides choosen allow for that all important straight line path.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster