I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Guide Fall-off
Posted by: Chris Keffer (---.tc-1.buf-ch.ny.localnet.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 01:20AM

Over 4 months of a moderate fishing. I've managed to loose 2 of the smaller single foot guides from the upper section of my rod. This is the second rod I've build, both using DuraGloss. I wrap the guides pretty tight (enough for final finger alignment) and used color protector. Neither the wraps nor the finish is broken--it's as though the guides just slipped out from under the thread and glue. On this tip section I believe I only used one coat of the DuraGloss; is that my mistake?

I don't believe I've lost the guides while fishing. I think the zip-up rod/reel bag I've got sometimes catches the guides on the way in/out.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Guide Fall-off
Posted by: Dan Craft (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 01:39AM

Chris,

Because there shouldn't really be any forward pulling force on the guides from the line while fishing, you are probably are pulling the guides off as you say, usually there is a wide area on the guide foot that helps hold the guide in place. Sometimes the color preserver will keep the finish from penetrating and getting a good hold on the guide foot. You may want to look into the Forhan locking wrap. I am sure there is info on this page about it.

Dan

Posted by: Chris Keffer (---.tc-1.buf-ch.ny.localnet.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 10:19AM

Thanks, Dan. Oh, and make that 3 guides, with a 4th about to fall off. On closer inspection I noticed that on the guides that have slipped or are slipping out there was no finish just in front of the foot.

I did find the Forhan locking method at [www.maskrods.com]
and it makes sense to me. It looks like I'll also make sure my finish extends just beyond the wraps under the foot.

chris

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.75.82.161.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 10:24AM

Also when I wrap single foot guides I always wrap to the upward shaft then put 5-8 wraps after the shaft and pack tightly pushing the thread toward the guide. The forhan wrap is even better

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 01:31PM

I do what Bill does, wrap behind the guide foot. Never lost a guide.

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 01:52PM

I also wrap 3 to 5 wraps past the guide foot and make sure epoxy is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch past the guide. I apply the epoxy in front of the guide foot with a needle or pin so as to control the application and make sure the epoxy is in front of the guide foot and goes under the threads arching over the guide foot. I have not had any single footed guides come off as of yet.

Hope this helps.

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: Steve Parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: July 06, 2003 03:23PM

The only time I've ever lost a guide was when I was going through Burger King drive through before a fishing trip. I left the rods in the center console rod holder and when I drove under the sign that said "clearance 8'6"" it caught my G-USA rod and ripped four guides off. Other than I've never lost a guide. I always make four turns in front of the guide foot and push them in tight to the foot. When I apply the finish, I apply it just like the other end of the wrap. I go past the wrap a 1/16" onto the blank. I always get a good build up in front the guide leg where it starts upwards.

Steve

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 08:00PM

All single foot guides should use some type of security wrap. Only takes a few seconds and keeps you from pulling any out.

Posted by: Chris Keffer (141.238.13.---)
Date: July 08, 2003 04:30PM

Thanks to all of you for help. One off-board message even got me thinking about picking up a copy of Tom's book.

I put the Forhan lock on all the guides, plus made certain that I applied a generous amount of finish underneath/just beyond the wraps in front of the base of the guide. Looks pretty good--and I'll only get better--I hope!

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.75.91.206.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: July 08, 2003 05:12PM

Also subscribe to the magazine. A lot of well ritten articals in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster