I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steelhead rod comparisons...
Posted by: roncaddis (---.saber.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 10:55PM

I chose to build a 9' 7# rod for my 1st winter project rod. I have been looking at the following blanks: H&H(Pac BAy)vs. St. Croix SC4 vs. Rainshadow IM6. How do they compare action wise? Which one might roll cast the best. I would be using the rod primarily for casting and swinging steelhead flies and roll casting large indicators and three or four small split shot. Any comments appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Note
Posted by: Moderator3 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 11:19PM

Please use your name instead of a nickname or handle when posting. Thanks for your co-operation.

Re: Steelhead rod comparisons...
Posted by: ron pulitano (---.saber.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 01:13AM

My apologies for not using my name on the previous posts. Jason, the rod I am replacing is a 10' 6# rod. I had elbow problems using the longer rod, why? I don't know. When I went to my shorter 9' rods, the problem goes away!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 06:11AM

I cannot compare them very well as I have only used the St.Croix SCIV in that length and line weight. Personally I feel it is one of the very best fly rods I have ever cast or fished with. Really outstanding.

I am sure the others are good as well, but as far as which one might suit your personal tastes is hard to say. I am sure you'll get some more responses as the day wears on.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2001 06:49PM

I think a more fair comparison with the SCIV would be Rainshadow's Xcel blanks rather than the IM6. I think Pac Bay has a new series of blanks in addition to the IM6 line as well.

I really don't think you can go wrong choosing between a St. Croix SCIV, a Rainshadow XCel, or even trying one of the Lamiglas Esprit. It would be hard to recommend one over the other since rod action choice is such a personal thing.

If roll casting is your game, don't laugh - but think of a double handed rod. It will be far less tiring to fish than trying to force long roll casts all day with a single handed rod (especially if you use weighted flies or sink tips). I believe you can find some models in the 7wt range, but I don't think they are cheap.

My own personal steelhead rod is build on a Sage RPL blank. Not only is it very light in the hand, it's got power while casting and is strong when fighting a fish. These blanks are now offered as the VPS series and are, in my opinion, a great buy.

Then again, I sold a 9' 6wt IM6 PacBay rod that I thought was heavy and fatiguing to someone who said it was the best steelhead rod he had ever fished. Go figure. It is all very subjective.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster