I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New one to the group and some equipment questions
Posted by: Adam (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 09:58PM

I am going to get into the rod making scene. I have been an avid fly fisher for about 3 years now and a flytyer for about a year. Always learning. Since I love the sport so much, I have decided to expand my horizon with rod making, especially with winter coming on. So heres my question. What equipment do I need to get started? I have heard of many people making their own rod turner out of Barbeque rotisseries. What else could I make one out of (since the ones in most magazines are so expensive if I could make my own)? Thanks to all that respond and I hope to make many more posts, and recieve much good use out of this board.

Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New one to the group and some equipment questions
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 10:04PM

I believe you posted earlier. Yesterday. Rich Garbowski gave you some ideas. Just check below and see the reply.

You need very little if anything. A turner is for rotating your finish so it doesn't sag. But you can get by without it just by turning your rods by hand every few minutes for an hour or two.

Get some books on the subject and read up on the hobby. By the time you finish you'll know about what you need.

Posted by: Sean Tate (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 12:54AM

Adam, I got into rod building cheap by making my own wrapping jig (stand) for about $10.00 worth of Poplar and a saturday afternoon. Works, but it ain't pretty. Fact is, it doesn't take a sizeable investment to end up with perfectly adequate tools, i.e a manufactured wrapping jig such at the ones from Flex Coat - its an inexpensive and functional tool. I would, however, not reccommend you go without a constant speed drying motor of between 6 and 16 RPM (Flex Coat sells them too). I apply my finish to a rotating rod, which is a pain to try and do by hand, and not having to manually rotate drying finish is worth every penny you spend, not to mention the results. Try the battery operated motor from FC ( i think...). Saves your behind if the power ever goes out, portable, sturdy and basic.

Good luck, and welcome to the deeper levels of the obsession. We've all been there...

Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: December 06, 2001 08:48AM

I started with a flex coat hand rod wrapper and flex coat finish and drying motor. They were about $120 combined. I'm also pretty new at this but have made 5 or 6 rods with this equipment. Everything works great. Do pick up a book as everyone else has suggested. It will help with many of the simpler things. Good luck.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.atomic.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 11:31AM

Adam, Try allelectronics.com Look under gearmotors. I bought one of their 40 rpm 120v motors for $2.50+$2.50 s&h. I've used it for six rods with no problems. This higher speed for a drying motor works good for applying finish and is very good for drying U-40 LS-Supreme. Has a 1/4" shaft.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 12, 2001 06:45AM

Clemens had an "economy" rod turner for I believe $39, but they mentioned that it was a limited stock item, so they may be out by now. If you can get one, I think it is hard to beat, and will save you time and hassle trying to rig something yourself.

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster