I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

811 CP
Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 04:50PM

Tom,
when you put a coat of 811 cp on a rod, do you turn it on your dryer or just leave it on the rack? I am just trying to figure out how much you are putting on not to have to wipe of excess or have drips.

Thanks,

Bill.
PS: go the back issues the other day

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 811 CP
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 04:57PM

Well, I don't have to turn it and it doesn't drip. But I do put on enough to turn the threads uniformly dark. That's about the best I can do without being able to show you in person. I get the threads wet, completely saturated, but not dripping wet. By the time I reach the tip most guide I find that I do not have to turn or rotate it. Takes maybe, 3 or 4 minutes to coat all the wraps I guess.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 05:23PM

When ever I use color presever I alwas rotate my rod while appling cp. this way i can force out any air pockets that could be traped. while the rod is rotateing I can remove any excess cp that well form on the botton of the rod
Good Luck Bob

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 05, 2001 06:38PM

Bill,
No need to turn the rod. Some color preserver's , like the solvent based ones for silk thread ask that you turn the rod for uniform saturation. #811 does ask for saturation of the threads as Tom explains, but no need for turning. It should not be dripping, is the point, really. I suppose if you do get too eager and form a 'drip' , gently daub off the excess with a lint free paper like lab filter paper or as some rod shops use lint free coffee filters for a variety of clean up uses.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 05, 2001 07:02PM

Bill,
No need to turn the rod. Some color preserver's , like the solvent based ones for silk thread ask that you turn the rod for uniform saturation. #811 does ask for saturation of the threads as Tom explains, but no need for turning. It should not be dripping, is the point, really. I suppose if you do get too eager and form a 'drip' , gently daub off the excess with a lint free paper like lab filter paper or as some rod shops use lint free coffee filters for a variety of clean up uses.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 08:39PM

Drops of CP forming on the bottom of the wraps? Gee fellows how much are you putting on there? I just load my brush and make a couple revolutions and that's it. No muss no fuss and no drops of CP pooling or dripping anywhere. Somebody needs to make a video showing these different application techniques.

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: December 06, 2001 01:09PM

Maybe I am too used to the flex coat CP and will change the way I use the 811. I guess less is best! Do like the 811 better.
Thanks guys!
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster