I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy for guide wraps.
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 12:38AM

Okay, I know this will be a bit 'controversial', but this is the only site where I feel I can get a good answer to this question.

What is the difference between the two part 'epoxy' rod wrap finishes (Flex Coat, LS Supreme, etc.) and plain old, buy it at Wally World slow curing epoxy glue, or even the 2 part 'pour it on' wood finishes?

I'm not looking for the 'it was made for finishing rod wraps', I know that, I'm wondering if there is a chemical difference, and if so, just what that is. (Generally, I'm not looking for trade secrets, just curious).

What leads me to this is that about five years ago I decided that ALL my factory bass rods needed hook keepers (I'm not sure why this isn't done on this type of rod as a matter of course, but it's not, so...). I made some up out of stainless wire and wrapped them onto the rods. I used Epoxy glue (Devcon 2-ton), and 'turned' the rods with an old rotisserie motor that I'd rigged up to turn epoxy coated lures . I wasn't even a little bit concerned with the looks, per se, just wanted to have a durable finish that would protect the wraps. That was five years ago, these rods have seen hard use and exposure to the Arizona sun, and the wraps on the home made hook keepers look better now than the factory wraps on the rod. No bubbles (I didn't DO anything, they just came out without them), color is still clear, no cracks, etc...

If it wasn't for worries about cracking (the hook keepers are on the part of the rod that flexes least, I think, so...), I'd think about trying a whole rod with the stuff to see how it worked.

Has anyone ever done this?

Can someone tell me why It won't work?

Thanks,

Buddy S.

(I KNOW that finish is cheap, especially in relation to the labor involved, this is more along the lines of an intelectual discussion...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy for guide wraps.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 09:07AM

All of these epoxy products are in the same general family, but they have been formulated with different component parts to provide different properties.

For instance, with an epoxy intended for use only in adhering parts together the formulator might concentrate on how well it wets the surfaces and "sticks" them together. But he may do this at the expense of clarity or flexibility. On an epoxy like we use for our wrap finish the formulator might concoct a product that leans towards being very clear and flexible but does not adhere quite as well. Then again, he may choose some mix that provides some measure of all three.

Then you've got epoxies meant to be used as fillers in loose fitting assemblies, or those meant to be used on wood, etc., etc. So each type has been formulated for some specific purpose. But each one has its strengths and weaknesses. The all-purpose do everything perfectly epoxy likely does not exist. The epoxy you used on those hookkeepers will likely work fine, but you may notice some drawbacks in the clarity, flex or ability to withstand UV and moisture. The key is in choosing the product that will fill the exact requirements you have for the particular task at hand.

I hope Ralph will read this and give you a more detailed answer than I can.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 05, 2001 05:49PM

As for finishes and epoxies Mr. Ralph Oquinn is the man to ask
Ralph use to work a large air plane manufacture and has worked with finish most of his life.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Glen (---.advertisnet.com)
Date: December 05, 2001 08:22PM

I have finished alot of rods with devcon quickset and at the expense of causing the price of epoxy to skyrocket, I'll share the trick with you.
Mix up small amounts, do one guide at a time, and use 2 light coatings, (the first coat only soaks the thread, then on the second coat only apply only enough to cover the thread grain. unless you pile it up you will never notice any yellowing or cracking. I've never used it to finish over a light color thread though for fear of a yellow effect, because it actually does yellow to a certain degree but over dark thread it is not noticable and holds up very well as long as you do not pile it up like some rod builders do, in my opinion a thick finish looks cheap anyway. BUT, if I was building a high end rod I would use rod finish designed for the job at hand, just 'cause.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster