I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to the Board and New to the Hobby. Some ?'s
Posted by: Fishin' Fresh (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:08PM

I am new to this board, and I hope to get many good tips on this new hobby I hope to take up! Its getting to be (I hate to say it) Winter time. . Now is the time when other aspects associated with fly fishing come out. A.K.A. fly tying, rod building, etc. I love to fly ty and that is something I am anxious to do once the winter is officially here. But, I have been hearing about all the fun that rod building is and have decided to try my hand at this tributary off of this sport of fly fishing. A couple of nieghbors and I want to start rod building, but none of us has any experience what-so-ever. What would be a good weight rod to build as a beginner? I want to make a 2 or 3 weight for the local bluegill, but would it be easier to start out on a 5 or 6 weight? What kind of equipment would I need to start out? I watched the 3M video of Building Your Own Rod with Dale Clemens. I dont plan on making my own cork grip, but where would I find the "Burnt Cork Inlays" that he uses in there? They look very sharp. Would it be best to buy a kit with all the equipment included in the set or would it be best to buy each item separately? I would LOVE, even though probably not possible, if all of you rod builders could unanimously decide on a good beginners kit or good materials to start out with. Looking only to spend about 100 to 130 dollars (part of christmas presents). If its not possible to come to a united decision, thanks to any and all who make a contribution to my post. Once I buy a kit or whatever I end up with, I will keep you all posted! Thanks again! Merry Christmas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to the Board and New to the Hobby. Some ?'s
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:38PM

Merry Christmas, and we hope you'll introduce your name to the board shortly. Congratulations for your interest in custom rod building. As a fly tyer already, you should fit right into the idea of building your own fly rods. Doesn't particularly matter which weight of rod you start with, perhaps stick with what is your current fishing species interest and go from there.

You've picked a good site here for gleaning information and finding the right places to choose your equipment. A few ideas about books and so on. The ones you mention are a good source, and also "Rod Building Guide" .... you'll find excellent and up to date resource that is well written and illustrated. Suggest also a subscription to RodMaker magazine to keep your interests. Other good videos by Artie Hebert, one older one by Mel Dickey was a good primer (don't know if it's still available). Step by Step rodbuilding booklet by Flex Coat will give you good basic info, as well as the book also by Seiders that gives an excelellent overview for building Flyrods. Try a rodbuilding class, and if you're close to Nashville in January , there will be a 'conclave' that is a personable gathering of rodbuilders including a beginners rod building class you can surely benefit.

As for a beginner's kit , I could plug the one's we offer with Richard's Rod & Reel Service. They contain all you'll need (minus the wrapping jigs or turning motors) to get started in a deluxe way. Any way you get going, I think you'll find ready and willing participants on this board to help you along with advice. Good Luck and happy shopping.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

One requirement
Posted by: Moderator3 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:41PM

Please follow the rules above and use your actual name when making posts. We do not require registration but do require a name and valid email address. Thanks.

I am sure you will get plenty of good information here. Be sure to avail yourself of the archives should you need to search for a particular subject.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster