I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thin finish on guides
Posted by: matt lewis (---.chartertn.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 07:52PM

i have a couple of rods that the finish on the guides is thin. what i mean is, that you can "feel" and see the thread wrap on top of the guide foot. i suppose this is may because of the area underneath the guide foot soaks up the finish, or the wraps are loose. none of the guides are the least bit loose, or seem faulty. i've begun applying another coat of finish to these rods. but is it necessary? i'll do it anyway on mine, but i noticed some "custom" built rods on the shelf today at the tackle store with the same problem. (don't you just chuckle every time you see "custom rods" written on a rack full of rods sitting in a tackle store for sale?). just wondering how big of a problem this is. it can't be good for the longevity of a rod can it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thin finish on guides
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 08:35PM

I have four rods that belong to one of fishing buddies to redo the guide wraps. The finish that came from the factory was so thin that the threads started to show through. I would certainly put another coat of Flex Coat or other finish to protect the threads. And yes, it is a shame to see "custom rods" for sale at shows that are not worth selling. Mine is a hobby but I am sure that these rods misrepresent the work of real custom rod builders.

Posted by: Lee Parsons (12.237.149.---)
Date: December 04, 2001 08:54PM

May have been finished with something like Dura Gloss to give the thin finish. It is done intentionaly in some cases, some like the look and feel of the thread. As for longivity, a friend has an old Fenwick (over 30 years old) that has a thin finish on the wraps and it is holding up just fine.

Posted by: William C. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:06PM

I don't know that it would hurt anything for the finish to be thin. But if you plan on using it over the long haul and having it be able to withstand some weather and abrasion I'd like to have my finish just thick enough so that a thumbnail raked across the threads won't feel any. That's just the way I like them. No more and no less.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:17PM

I have a couple of my grandfather's old rods, and they don't seem to have much of anything on the wraps. They are doing fine, although I don't fish them.

I am also curious about the answer to this question with the materials of today.

TH

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:46PM

Those rods probably have a old spar varnish finish on the wraps. It works fine but over time will weather and crack. Epoxy is a tougher and longer lasting wrap finish. If you ever rewrap those old rods and only if they might need it, an epoxy finish would give you longer protection. Then again you might want to restore them to original and for that PermaGloss would give you the varnish look but in a bit longer lasting and tougher package.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 04, 2001 09:47PM

Matt,
I'm not sure which finish you used. A very good product to use is from U-40 called Dura Gloss LS Supreme. You have to mix it precisely, as any others (like flex coat) and apply a coat that well covers the threads and even in the tunnel of the guide foot at the front. If you need a second coat, don't hesitate to do it. The finish should basically form a 'cast' around the thread and secure the guide foot into place on the blank. There should be no loose movements afterwards if done properly.

I know, giving 'lessons' again, but I beleive I 'hooked' you into this craft and you'll just have to keep at the 'practice makes perfect' ritual. Remember, the next rod usually is better than the last.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Date: December 04, 2001 11:52PM

for the record, i did use LS supreme. it works nicely so far, and i'm happy with it. i'm sure i'm just not getting quite enough finish on the "tunnel" part of the guide. glad to hear the point about not having too much, i probably would have slopped the next coat on pretty thick.

rich,

yeah you are the @#$%% that hooked me into this, and my wife may never forgive you, or get her kitchen cabinets back LOL.

thanks again guys!

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 05, 2001 12:36AM

Matt,
Yes, I've been known to do that and the wives complain. But also some admit at least their guys are staying out of other troubles while rodbuilding. I got an earful today from a friend's (musky hunter) wife and taking her husband away to the addiction (musky fever). Now he wants a customized rod and specialized pricey tackle. What can I say? I just live with it. And besides, my wife has too many shoes!

Rich

Date: December 05, 2001 10:45AM

i hear ya on the shoes. i'm waiting to play that card. got a feeling i'm gonna need it :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster