I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Purglas blanks
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.agstme.adelphia.net)
Date: June 17, 2003 05:12PM

Hi,
Any ever use these blanks ? What did you think of them? Thank you for any information . Marcel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Purglas blanks
Posted by: Tony Robinson (---.lockheedfcu.org)
Date: June 17, 2003 08:46PM

Hi Marcel:

For what it's worth, I've pulled on a few of their longer blanks (9'10" and 11'6") and talked at great length with the owner William Taylor about the blank designs at our local Fred Hall Show earlier this year. The ones I checked out were the 300/2, 300/3, 350/2 and 350/3, with hopes of finding some alternative sticks (I'm a big Calstar fan) for throwing surface iron here on the left coast with 30# and 40# lines. Blah, blah, blah...I know! Anyway, they pulled nice, were very light in weight and "felt" good against the "imaginary" fish I pulled on at the show. As I recall from the other gentleman that was there, there was a lot of effort put to getting "the right bend" at the joint of these two piece wonders. My biggest concern (along with a million other guys) was the fact that it WAS two piece, but after pulling hard on them and the disscusions I've had since, with William and others who have used their sticks for the same purpose I intend, I'm sold (or will be soon) on them. Opens up some interesting possibilities for guys like myself that like to toss the iron but can't because transporting our 10' jigsticks outside California is not usually an option...

I wish I could give you some real on the water experience with them...maybe at the end of the summer though as I'm heading down to a local shop in the next few days to decide on the 300/2 or 300/3...

Good luck! Hopefully we'll see some other responses for you...and me!

Tony

Re: Purglas blanks
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2003 09:52PM

For the "casting afficionados" - PurGlas was second only to some extreme custom work done on Zziplex blanks on the East Coast surf casting tour last year. Mighty impressive.

They are great blanks.
Posted by: Dillon Hee (---.omega80.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: June 17, 2003 10:43PM

Hi,

I have a 400-2 13'2" blank that has been built for surf fishing and the rod is a true action blank that bends all the way to the butt. Very very nice. It is rated to cast 6 ounces but I think that 4 is just nice for it.

Don't be fooled by the light weight of the blank, it is a very strong rod and it is casts great... overall a very fun rod to have.

I built mine for a low mount surf cast reel but the since the rod bends all the way to the butt one must be careful to place more guides to avoid having the line touch the blank.

Hope that helps.

Dillon

Re: They are great blanks.
Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 12:22AM

I have built quite a few of them recently, and really like them. Matter of fact I won a recent local competition throwing 2 oz. on a 350-2 with a cast of 347'. Models I like and have tried are: 350-1, 350-2, 350-3, 400-1, 400-2, 400-3, 400-4.

Advantage are:

softer tip action is easier for many people to cast

they break down in two equal pieces so are easier to store and transport

Disadvantages:

the only disadvatage (and it isn't to many folks) is that because it is a full taper rod the butt size, and thus the reel seat, is larger than most other graphite rods.

Re: I`ve built many of them
Posted by: Don Moorhead (199.21.28.---)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:21AM

I`ve built many surf rods using purglas blanks . I have used the 350-0, 350-2, 350-3, 350-4 , 3500, 400-3,400-4 . I have been impressed with all the rods . The 350 series blanks are 11'6" and 400 series are 13'2" . They are light for their length and power .
International angler in Pittsburgh , Pa. sells the purglas line of blanks and custom built rods . If you are looking for a custom built rod call and ask for Mark Sikora 412-782-2222 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster