I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bubbles?
Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: December 03, 2001 03:04PM

When applying the finish, what is the best way to get even coverage. I sometimes get high rings of finish. Do you apply while on the dryer? Also, I keep getting fine bubbles in the finish. Most disappear during drying but not all. Any suggestions? I'm a new subscriber to Rodbuilder and sure this has been covered many times in the past but that's not doing me any good today. Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bubbles?
Posted by: Sean Tate (216.161.55.---)
Date: December 03, 2001 03:29PM

Depends on the type of finish you use. I do apply my finish (Flex Coat on graphine / nylon) on my drying motor, and after acheiving a thick coat, have about 10 minutes it seems with which to even it out using the bruch to move the finish around on the wraps. I avoid bubbles by careful mixing and heating of the catalyzed finish before application. You would be surprised how many bubbles can be intrtoduced by a brush as well - make sure it itn't trapping any bubbles by fully saturating it first with thinned finish, or a thinner that works well with what you use.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 03, 2001 04:46PM

I hate to contradict anyone and I know many people do this, but you shouldn't thin your finish. It isn't necessary and can lead to further trouble. After application, you can gently warm the finish with a butane lighter or alcohol lamp held a few inches under the wraps and moved to and fro while the rod is slowly turned. The bubbles will rise to the surface and leave. You must be careful not to overdo this, and be advised that some finishes will actually boil at about 165F and introduce more bubbles. Just gently warm it.

Make sure your rod is level while the finish is flowing and you should get a pretty level finish as well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 03, 2001 04:56PM

Steve, I assume you are talking about an epoxy wrap finish?

Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: December 03, 2001 05:20PM

I have used the flex coat wrap finish on all my rods so far. I always apply them indoors at about 70 degrees.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 03, 2001 05:27PM

I rotate my rod while applying finish. When using Flex Coat I warm my 2 bottles befor mixing. Then I pure the mix in to a container lined with foil, I let it set for 1 minute lightly blowing on the finish break any air bubbles that appear.. While the rod is rotateing I apply finish. Once the finish is applied I put a little heat on it to break any air bubbles that may appear. Depending on the wrap I my have to do this 3 or 4 times. Be carefull when applying heat you could over heat the finish you need just enought heat to liquefy the finish. I use a butane torch.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.cphz1.fl.home.com)
Date: December 03, 2001 05:56PM

This may surprise you but I do not use a brush.Try applying flex coat with a tongue depressor. While the rod is on the dryer use a tooth pick to apply epoxy around the guides feet,then apply the epoxy on the rod running the depressor lengthwise with the rod. I use a alcohol lamp AFTER I finish using the amount of flex coat that I mixed. I hold the lamp about 3 inches from the rod running it the length of the wrap. I make up to three mixes for the rod and do only about three guides at a time.This works great for me and best of all no bubbles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster