I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner rod builder advice
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.bigvalley.net)
Date: December 01, 2001 11:39PM

I just purchased a kit from Cabela's which had "complete rod building instructions" with it, they leave a lot of holes for a beginner, any ideas where I can get some really good printed instructions?
Thanks, Fred

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner rod builder advice
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2001 11:53PM

Fred

"Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman. Available in a number of the links on the left. A great book for beginners. Concise, clear, and efficiently written.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 02, 2001 02:46AM

Bill is giveing you some good advise. You my also try Clemens Tackle which is located on your left. and look for a book by Dale Clemens called fiberglas rod building. You can use all of the information provided and use it to build a grafite rod.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 02, 2001 09:17AM

Fred,
As mentioned, you don't want to be without the books especially well illustrated and current is Kirkman's book but also there are a couple others like the small book from Flex Coat called "Step by Step Rodbuilding". It's a good basic primer. A subscription to RodMaker as you get going will provide you with the best resource available in on- going print. This site you're on will certainly provide you with answers to your questions. A few videos are available, including the ones by Artie Hebert are well worth the money and give you visual information. The vendors links on this board, besides providing you with quality product and often good deals I bet are willing to help you along as well. We also have available the books, videos and catalog for your consideration.
The step you've taken to inquire on this board means you're already well on your way.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Elrod (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 02, 2001 05:30PM

Books are invaluable, but seeing does alot too. I have never had the luxury of seeing someone else build a rod. Would think it would teach alot. I have built for 7 years, learned everything by trial and error and books. You have a very distinct advantage. THIS BOARD. Search the archives, much info here is not in the books, if you can' t find it in the archives, ASK!! The compilation of builders on this board provide a knowledge base that is incomparable to any book,video etc... Also, subscribe to Rodmaker magazine.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 04, 2001 12:04PM

My only complaint about the flex-coat book is that it tells you that the spine is opposite of what most people ,especially on this board, generally consider it to be. This can be very confusing for a beginer trying to use multiple resources, as it was to me. Otherwise it is a good source for quick reference. I have also paged through Tom's book, and it looks very good, but I haven't gotten a copy to read cover to cover yet. Well, there's my book report of the day! ---jeff

HANDLE CORK.G.LOOMIS.STR 1142.9\1\2
Posted by: GARY.BARNES (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:41AM

I Brike THE Handle ON MY ROD. can I BUY THE Handle and CORK TO Repair IT THANK YOU.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster