I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.midmaine.com)
Date: December 01, 2001 05:43PM

Hi in reading past post on spiral wraps would that surf rods or would that a wast my time . Just a thought thanks for any help this site is the BEST thanks Tom Marcel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 01, 2001 06:22PM

Hi Marcel,
No, I don't think considering a spiral wrap for a surf rod is a waste of time. The concept is valid for any level wind or baitcasting type reel setup.
If you use the right guides, and do the spiral for best casting performance, I believe you could build a very good surf casting rod using the spiral wrap. I've built musky and bass type rods by the spiral method and they outcast the conventional ones.

I would arrange the guide angles to best accomodate a direct line path out to the tip. I think I posted previously some thoughts on this and you'll find also excellent ideas based on Ralph O'Quinn's modification and Don Morton's concepts. Someone else might have something more we can learn with.

Go for it.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods
Richard's Rod & Reel.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2001 06:28PM

Marcel

Most every surf fishing set -up I have seen uses a spinning reel. A spinning rod already has the guides on the bottom side of the rod.
It would be a good idea for a king or spanish mac' pier rod! Personally I pier fish with a spinning set-up, but my son and I don't target mac's or sharks. If you are surf fishing with a baitcast or level wind try a spinning reel.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 01, 2001 06:41PM

Bill,
Agree, the pier rod idea would benefit with the stability and better lifitng of a spiral wrapped rod. I do know spinning setups outnumber baitcasters for the surf, but some parts it is a preference thing. With the right reel/line combination I couldn't see why it wouldn't be worthwhile to try. I have seen some pretty awesome distance baitcasting rods for river sturgeon fishing, why not for surf?
I guess the point is, IF, one was going to use a conventional rod with a baitcaster why not use the spiral wrap. I would go also for a spinning setup, but also I can be an oddball baitcaster. I guess also for utility reasons, one may not want an exposed baitcaster in the beach sand, and for this a spinnig reel would be better??

Rich

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2001 06:52PM

Rich & Marcel

I agree, if you are going to use a baitcast reel, a spiral wrap rod will work very well. A spiral wrap baitcast rod will out preform a "normal" baitcast rod in every situation I am aware of. But... If Marcel has never tryed surf casting with a spinning rod and reel...

If we all had only one type rod to fish with or to build, what a boring world it would be.

Good Luck fishing and rodmaking with what ever you use!
Bill Doherty

Posted by: john bratton (12.225.126.---)
Date: December 01, 2001 07:16PM

hello i just built a 14 ft Lamiglas surf rod with the spiral wraps the guy i built it for said it out performs any bait casting reel typ surf rod he has ever used.i prefer a spinning rod my self.regards john

Posted by: john bratton (12.225.126.---)
Date: December 01, 2001 07:22PM

hello i lost my xcite at home email i typed in my email address and i dont think it put it in right my e mail is johnbratton@attbi.com.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster