I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Initial questions
Posted by: Pat Higgins (12.125.43.---)
Date: December 01, 2001 09:56AM

After doing some reading, following this board and trying to educate myself in general, I've finally decided to dive into my first rod. With so many questions about everything I figured the best thing for me would be to just buy a kit and by time I was through, I'd be a little more able to ask intelligent questions. So, I bought a 9', 4 pc., 8# IM6 rod kit from Hook and Hackle, it arrived yesterday and, I already have some unanticipated questions that I haven't seen covered anywhere.

First off, the reel seat has the removable fighting butt. Because it's removable, the reel seat endcap recesses about an inch into the reel seat itself. This is fine except that will cause that section of the rod to be about an inch longer than the the others. Should I be cutting off an inch of the lower section to compensate for that? If memory serves, a fine tooth saw is the best method for doing this?

And, I know this is cosmetic but, the male ferrule for each section is cut-off blunt. I know that sanding blanks is considered taboo but do you generally round off these male ferules? My factory rods have always been rounded over and I just think it looks a whole lot nicer.

I think that's all for now (and I haven't done anything more than open the box!). Am I being too much of a pefectionist?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Initial questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 01, 2001 10:03AM

You can cut the butt if you'd like, to get everything back to the length you want. Or not. Leaving it a tad longer than the tip section helps to protect the more fragile tip when in storage or transporting. But, you may have to buy a longer tube than the normal length for most 9 footers.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "both male ferrules". You should only have one. The very edge can be lightly rounded but do not overdo this.

Cutting a blank should be done with a very fine tooth saw, or even better, a cut off wheel in a drill or grinder. I will sometimes insert a wood dowel into the butt and cut against that. Seems to reduce splitting and slintering of the fibers when the cutting tool comes through.

And now a word about our sponspors - I won't tell anyone where they should buy their rod making stuff, but I happen to know that all of those listed here on this site always go the extra mile for their customers and help you out with these simple, yet sometimes perplexing questions. In other words, their service doesn't stop with just charging your credit card.

Re: Initial questions
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2001 02:41PM

Be sure you wrap two bands of masking tape on the section you intend to cut. Make a mark on the blank then on each side of the mark wrap about six or seven turns with 1/2 inch masking tape leaving just enough space for the saw blade to fit. This will insure that your cut will be straight and that the blank will not splinter. I presently use a hobby saw with very fine teeth and I saw around the blank to score it then saw through. I trim a lot of surf blanks this way and have yet had one splinter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster