I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flexcoat rod lathe
Posted by: Jeff Luptowski (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 17, 2003 10:01PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, has anyone here had any experience with the Flexcoat lathe Setup? I only build 3 or 4 rods a year (if I am Lucky} but when I do, I like to make my own handles using cork rings. It takes a lot of effort to shape the handle by hand sanding and I think I am ready to get a lathe set up of some sort. Since I do not build many rods and do it as a hobby, I did not not want to spend a lot of money for a Renzetti, Custom Power Wrap or even a PacBay. Is this a good set up for the hobbiest and what kind of chuck would be best for this set up? Thanks in advance for your responses, they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flexcoat rod lathe
Posted by: Alex Norris (---.144.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 17, 2003 10:39PM

Jeff,
I do not have experience with the flex coat lathe,but look at www.grizzly.com
They have a hobby lathe that uses a drill for the motor. Several of the guys here use it . Do a search and you'll get lots of info . I think it normally sells for $40.00,but they are having a sale--$29.95. If you are just turning cork,it'll do a fine job for you.
Also,look at Lamar Reel Seats-link to the left- Andy has mandrals for turning grips off the blank that are just great.
Alex

Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.74.137.56.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: May 17, 2003 10:55PM

Jeff, I use the Flex-Coat power rod wrapper for all my work, including shaping cork grips. I glue and compress the cork rings directly onto the blank and then shape them. I have been told several times that I'll shorten the life of the motor, but tnis one has been running since 1980-something. Many of the rods have 20 years on them without any grip problems.
You may be wondering how I can shape the very butt end with the butt end being held inside the rubber chuck. This has never been a problem because I always add a butt cap. I always just do what trimming is needed for that by hand. Really does not take very long and beats paying "beaucoup bucko" for one of the fancy lathe setups.
anyway, honestly wish you good luck with it all------Gary

Date: May 18, 2003 07:19PM

Gary and Alex, thanks alot for your responses to my post! I have been beating my head against the wall trying to decide which way to go. Since I like my Flexcoat SW 2 hand wrapper so much I am not in need for a wrapper. I prefer to wrap with a hand wrapper. I also have limited space to work and I want my sanding or lathe work as far from my wrapping machine and rod dryer as possible and I like the idea of having a separate lathe and a seperate wrapper. I will probably go with the Grizzly and the Lamar mandrels. I was impressed with the looks and features of The grizzly and especially the price, since I am a part time builder and build only for family and friends.
Thanks again your responses are greatly appreciated
Jeff

Date: May 18, 2003 08:22PM

Alex, I have another question for you, do you need any special attachments besides the mandrels from Lamar to use the Grizzly hobby lathe? I am very appreciative for your response to my post and you have helped me decide on which way to go.
Thanks Jeff

Posted by: Gary Bechtel (---.74.132.2.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2003 10:38PM

Jeff, any questions you have about this area of the rodmaking process will be pretty much taken care of from A to Z by Andy at Lamar Reel Seats. You just are not going to any better than what he can tell you. Gary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster