I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Temporary guide placement procedures?
Posted by: Ben Saunders (---.fbx-dial.gci.net)
Date: November 27, 2001 01:32AM

What do you use to temporarily hold the guides on while doing a static deflection test? I have heard to use masking tape or surgical tubing. Where would I get some surgical tubing and what size would I use, if this is the preferred method? Any comments or information would be appreciated.

Ben Saunders

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Temporary guide placement procedures?
Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 27, 2001 05:48AM

I am from Western Washington State. Here we get surgical tubing at any fishing tackle store. We generaly use it to hold pincile lead when drift fishing. It comes in many differnt diameters. I cut small bands from the tubing.
Bob

Re: How secure?
Posted by: Jim Shambarger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2001 10:57PM

I use elastic thread. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the sewing section. Just use an overhand knot to fasten each foot, then clip the elastic when you get your wrap started.

Re: How secure?
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 08:05AM

I like Fishstix idea, but I don't know how he can drink beer, eat chips and salsa, and tie knots. I guess all that weaving really pays off in teh multi-tasking department, huh?

Where to get the tubing - I've been told to check a medical supply store - an easier alternative would be to order it from Clemens. Get all 3 sizes. Always add a couple of bands extra to the blank in case you need to add a guide.

The tubing works good - just don't put oo much pressure on the blank when doing teh static ditribution test - sometimes the guides will pop off and if you haven't prepped the guide feet they may even scratch the blank.

The tubing also has you see why you sould spiral/acid wrap your rods - I had fits when I was tring to static distribute a couple of rods and the guide kept twisting to the bottom each time I put a moderate bend in the rod. With the help of Don Morton, I decided to just put the guides where tehy wanted to go anyway, on the bottom.

Billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster