I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Noodle Rods
Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 08:44PM

Hello All

I was wondering if noodle rods might be the ticket for some fun surf fishing on the Jersey shore. Specifically, I would like to know if noodle rods would work to toss very light (1/2-ounce range) metal lures like Kastmasters, very long distances. Or, does the slow action just wobble after the cast and eat up your distance? I would of course equip it with suitably light line. I want to target the ever-finicky albacore in the late summer along the beach. Distance is the key, and the albies spook easily with heavy line. I see the noodles seem to be great for light line and big fish, so my key question is casting distance with very light lures.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noodle Rods
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 09:02PM

I used to fish the Salmon River with a 10.5' St. Croix noodle rod. I remember it being very sensitive during the drift in the river, and forgiving once a fish has been hooked. I also remember it being pretty heavy and not what I would call a crisp casting rod. A great rod for what it is designed for - drifting bait and flies along the stream bed with a light line, relatively light weight, and not too far casting distance requirements.

A half ounce? That might be the upper limit. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience. I was fishing with a couple small split shot, but I can't off the top of my head equate that to ounces. However, my gut feel is that trying to cast a 1/2 ounce lure long distances on a noodle rod is pushing things a bit. I've known a couple guys who've snapped the tips of their rods trying to fling slinkies across the river with a great heave.

Maybe Jason or Todd will chime in with the design points for those rods.

Now, I just built a 9' lighter line rod for steelhead which I find a much better fishing rod than the long noodles. It casts well and doesn't feel terribly tip heavy. It's rate for 1/8 to 3/8 oz, so even that's a little light for what you're asking.

Dunno if this helped, but I thought I'd pass it along.

I wonder if a spey rod blank would work for what you want?

Bob

Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 28, 2001 07:56PM

I have found that fly blanks matched to the weight you wish to cast work much better than the "noodle blanks" that are designed for drift fishing. I have built a few 10' 6 wt diamondbacks into spinning rods that would suit your needs. I built them to cast eggs and slinkies long distances into the current below the water release at my local Res. They handle the 6-10lb brown trout nicely on 6lb line with 4lb leaders.

Posted by: Frank (---.ny.us.prserv.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 09:23PM

I own a noodle rod and use it on the brine for bluefish and stripers in
Raritan bay..I have also used it on Shad on the delaware....
I feel its a little to whippy kind of hard to set the hook.
i like the idea of using fly rod blanks for spin tackle, i snaped my 1st
fly rod by the handle 2 years ago and converted it to spinning...works
great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster