I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boron rod?
Posted by: Rolly (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 06:50PM

A person asked me today if there still is a company out there making Boron rods or blanks. As I have never seen one I was wondering if anyone here may know the answer.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boron rod?
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 07:00PM

It seems to be making a comeback but many say it is just a sales gimmick. Boron is an older rod making material that many fell in love with back in the late 1970's. Many others flat out did not like it and had problems with boron rods. To my understanding, anything boron can do, graphite can do much better.

Posted by: Mike (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: November 26, 2001 08:21PM

Boron, from what I have heard and read about seemed to be a big failure in the past. Funny thing is Japanese rod makers are using it lately and it turned out fine, maybe they found a way to do it right?Seeker uses some boron in their Glass blanks too but I checked with them and boron is only used an additive to enhance certain properties. The following site belongs to one of Japan's most well known rod manufacturers.
-[www.ufm.co.jp]

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2001 09:11PM

As I recall Fenwick and Lamiglas both offered boron blanks but only for sweetwater uses.Boron came after graphite as far as I know and didn't make it because it suffered the same problems that graphite did at first but a MUCH higher price.
With the sophistication of technology today boron may be able to be used with some success and at reduced cost.
The Japanese are realy into long distance casting with rods of 3&4 pieces and up to 4-6 meters in length,using spinning reels costing 600-700 Dollars and more and braided line . Their experiments in this area brought about Interline rods and then Low Rider and New Guide Concept,etc.
The Japanese also have lures that actually FLY when cast. Warren

Posted by: Solana (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: November 29, 2001 07:45AM

No BLANKS : BUT certainly RODS !!!
Fly Rods : POWELL TIBORON (Titanium-Boron).
Winston XTR & BLR!? (Might have some blanks available !?)-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster