I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Pre-assembled Grips"
Posted by: Steve S. (---.norwest.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 03:49PM

So I just got back from my in-laws for Thanksgiving, and several of my "fisherman in-laws" asked if I could build them an inexpensive (cheap) rod for Christmas.

Given how much time there is to get this done, and how much (little) they are willing to reimburse me for the components, I thought that "rod blanks with pre-installed grips and reel seats" might be the solution.

I have heard from previous BB discussions that there are various opinons as to the quality of these units, but given the cost and time, I am willing to take a chance for myself.

Can anyone please help me with a phone number or web site that I can order these from? I need fresh water 6ft. casting blanks.

Thanks
Steve S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Pre-assembled Grips"
Posted by: Greg (192.223.226.---)
Date: November 26, 2001 05:35PM

I have heard in the past that some of the pre-assembled rods are not spined properly.

I suggest a cheaper import blank with cork tape???

We do not carry 6' imports, but maybe some of the shops listed on this site do.

Greg
[www.ReelsAndEels.com]

Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 07:59PM

It wouldn't take that much time for you to install a preformed grip and seat on a blank yourself. That way you could spine it and get what you want. Maybe take what, an hour at best?

Oh yea, I think it was CUI Products that offered those prebuilt handles on blanks. They are listed as a sponsor on this site but the link is not active. Maybe their site is not up yet.

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2001 08:00PM

Steve , I'm not sure what you mean by how much they want to reimburse you for but a blem and some less exspensive fuji components should do fine,(still better than a K-mart rod). I would only do it for a friend that is not willing to buy a good custom rod.

Posted by: Ed (---.hvi.net)
Date: November 27, 2001 05:35AM

Steve,
We can help you with both set-ups or blems. Link for Summer
Moon is on the left. Ed

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: November 27, 2001 08:51AM

Go to Mudhole and look at the Specials Section those blanks are pretty niceEd wrote:

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2001 08:03PM

Hi Steve.

Here is an option.

Buy cheap factory rods that will do the job. Remove or wrap over the company name, extra butt wrap etc.

Add the persons name and epoxy all the wraps.

Charge them twice what you paid for the rods.

And hope you dion't get caught. Good luck.

Capt Neil

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 28, 2001 09:46AM

Steve,
Couple of points.
To pride yourself as a custom rod builder I would go with assembling the grips from a kit something like the St. Croix handle kits. They are very good quality, giving you a finished custom look you'll be proud of showing off to your relatives and saying you did it yourself. The extra step of assembling the handle shouldn't take you that long anyway.

Also, consider a first run blank rather than the blems. You might be surprised the cost isn't much of a factor. You can find some very good Forecast brand blanks that fit this category and are not seconds or blems.

I like to think whether for a friend, relative, or customer it is the quality of your craftsmanship as a custom builder you'll wish to show through. and the preassembled rods, or doctoring factory rods, while being an alterative, will not necessarily save you that much time or money.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 10:42PM

Steve,

I bought a reamer kit from Custom Tackle, and I got three pieces of blank and some abrasive grit. I applied epoxy to the blanks and rolled them in the grit.

Although I was told these were not for machine use, I decided to try putting one in my 18V 1/2" DeWalt cordless drill and turning at low speed. It was AWESOME! I can ream out a 10" rear grip PERFECTLY in two or three minutes! Then, I do the same thing with the front grip and Graphite Arbors! (for them, a very slow speed works best, by the way)

In four rods, I've had to spot-apply more grit only once. GREAT time saver, and might take the bite out of making your in-laws their rods. But I must admit, I like Capt. Neil's reply! :-)

TH

Posted by: marcus (---.14.alltel.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 12:24PM

Steve

CUI does have blank and handle set ups.

the blanks and the handle sets are a good quality and the service has always been top notch for me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster