I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice fishing rod guide sizing?
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt2.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: November 25, 2001 11:53PM

To all you hard water fisherman and rod builders. What would you recomend as far as guide sizing for , say, a 40" medium rod or an ultralight 40"
Just curious. Richard G. I will ask you the same when I speak to you on the phone.
Thanks in advance,
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice fishing rod guide sizing?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2001 09:04PM

The biggest problem with ice rods is freeze up so use the largest you can get away with, without overloading the blank and robbing it of sensitivity. For the med. I would start with a sz 25 and work your way down, drop one size for each guide, depending on the blank i can<t say how many guides you will need. On the ultra light I would start with sz 16 and work your way down. I hope this helps.

Re: Ice fishing rod guide sizing?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 28, 2001 09:58AM

Mark,
I guess you forgot to ask about the guide sizing when you phoned, and thanks for the blank order by the way.

Two ways of looking at this. One is the perspective of dealing with freeze ups and using eversized rings. Most situtions with ice fishermen is they are in heated huts and don't really have that much issue with the tips or guides getting iced up.

The other is for those who go trecking out with snowmachines to they favorite out of the way ice hole and being in exposed conditions. Again, with portagle clams (ice shelters) the build up of ice in the rings is less an issue.

For light or even ultralights, I also like using the largest ring size you can get away with even up to size 20, but you'll also interfere with sensitivity if the guides are too bulky or too heavy. Also, as mentioned you can just size down to the tip as we aren't dealing with a rod for casting performance (no need to think of concept guide spacing here). I also like using quality ceramic hard ring guides to keep smooth line flow (the tigold are very nice for this purpose for your 'special' ice rods).

If freezup is an issue, suggest getting oversized top sizes if anything else. That is where most of the problem begins and ends, and not so much further down with the other guides. Better yet, just turn up the heat in your ice hut and get more comfort for a longer fishing day! makes sense to me.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster