I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hey Bob Meiser & Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: November 22, 2001 09:39AM

Bob and Tom, I would have emailed you direct but I still have a virus problem.
I just got my copy of RodMaker. WOW!!!!!!!!

That cover shot is fantastic. Bob, the feathers on the photo gallery, is that wild turkey breast feather? If not, what then?

RodMaker is just full of great how to information. But I find myself getting a lot of ideas on wrapping from the cover photo and the photo gallery. Being new to the "decorative" wrapping part of rod building I find the different colors and styles of wrapping fascinating. Daily I check this board, RodCrafters, and the Guild. But I also check the Moment of Fame board as they have regular new photos on rod wraps and unique custom handles.

I was thinking that a large coffee table style book on different butt wraps, guide wraps, and handle inlays would really be a great reference book. But then I thought it might be difficult to decide just what to include. So I decided to start my own using computer floppy disks and an index system. I divided it up into butt wraps, grips, guide wraps. Nice job on the magazine Tom, kudos on those rods Bob.
Buzz Butters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hey Bob Meiser & Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Hung Nguyen (---.cvx8-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net)
Date: November 22, 2001 12:18PM

There is so much work going to those covers! May be Tom can offer them on those mugs too? Let say for each issue, a 100 special-edition mugs with the cover printed on them are offered, then when they're gone, they're gone... It would be an awsome collection of mugs as the years go on, how about it Tom, sir?
Hung.

Re: Hey Bob Meiser & Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.53.174.187.snfr.grid.net)
Date: November 22, 2001 12:33PM

Hey Buzz, Thanks alot !
The feathers on the inset are Oscellated Turkey, a South American Turkey very similar to the wild Turkeys found in Wisconsin, but with metallic green feathers on the neck and breast rather then the copper. I have a very small stash of these feathers, and use them only on my finest rods. I am told there are only a hand full of these birds being raised domestically, and the feathers are very scarce. There is an Asian pheasant called the Impean Monal that has green metallic feathers as brilliant as the Ocellated, and is much easier to acquire. When you get back on line, mail me and if your interested I can lead you in the right direction for sources.
Speaking of Turkey.........have a great Thanksgiving.....and again thanks for the Kudos Buzz.
Bob Meiser

Mugs
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 22, 2001 01:00PM

I'm afraid the cost to do only 100 mugs would put the price at a level that most either could not or would not afford. Not that it's a bad idea, just one that probably isn't economically feasible for an operation and craft this size. I'll consider it, or something similar, in the future however.

While I'm at it though, I will mention that we just got in some RodMaker sweatshirts. These are very high quality, heavyweight, 50/50 cotton/polyester sweatshirts. I am told by my supplier that most of his customers sell them for around $40. These will go for $25 which includes shipping/mailing. The RodMaker logo is on the front left area and is done in silver and red. The sweatshirts are a rich black. Sizes are Large, X Large and XX Large. They are generously sized and should not shrink much if at all.

I'll have them up on the website maybe by late next week or you can order via snail mail until then.

magazine
Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2001 06:58PM

I am still neck deep in my recent order of back issues. It was money well spent. Great magazine. Not only nice looking but great ideas and technical information as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster