I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using Renzetti Thread Carriage with ALPS power wrapper
Posted by: Zach Moore (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2018 08:16PM

I currently have an alps power wrapper and have been doing very simple guide wraps but am currently working on learning more complex patterns and techniques.The Renzetti carriage seems to have a lot of advantages over the alps carriage. I have seen wrapping videos with people using Renzetti machines, I am just not currently looking to invest a grand or so to upgrade to the Renzetti machine. But for about $200 you can buy the thread carriage and the large spool attachment, and it would appear that I could find a way to engineer it to work on the alps rail system even if it means cannibalizing my current thread carriage, and making some adjustments to the base arm of the Renzetti carriage. My main concern would be that if you have the Renzetti carriage on the front of the track instead of on the back, would the riser arm with the eyelet potentially block your view of your work? Has anyone attempted this before?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using Renzetti Thread Carriage with ALPS power wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2018 10:00PM

You need to understand that most butt guide wraps and such rely on hand work, not the thread carriage. The only advantage you're going to get with the Renzetti carriage is the capability to carry more spools and have the reverse thread tension. Your ALPs carriage could be modified to do much the same.

I've done hundreds of decorative wraps. I push the thread carriage (Renzetti) out of the way and work with pre-cut thread segments by hand. It's much faster.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2018 02:10AM

Zach,
Also realize that you really don't need a thread carriage at all to do a wonderful job of wrapping rods.

You just need something to hold the thread and keep tension on it and have it move nicely along the rod bench. Whether it is attached to the wrapper or not, is entirely up to the design of the wrapper.
But, there is 0 reason to have the item that holds the thread to be attached to the wrapper, unless you want it attached to the wrapper.

If you just take a look at tours of fishing rod factories, I doubt that you will see a single thread carriage in the building. But, millions of rods come out of these factories every year.

Look at time stamp 3-54:
[www.youtube.com]

If you look at this video, you will see that the thread is just sitting on the bench and all of the tension is maintained by the thread running through the person's hand.
[www.youtube.com]

Best of luck

Posted by: Zach Moore (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2018 11:13AM

Thanks for the input gentleman it is much appreciated!

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 26, 2018 02:09PM

many just use a fly tying bobbin..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster