I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shelf Life
Posted by: Ken Finch (192.95.4.---)
Date: July 11, 2018 04:32PM

Not tying to start any arguments, but a day ago somebody asked about epoxy shelf life. The seller says it is six months. So is this six months from the time you get it, or was it six months from the time it was made bottled? And if it is from the time it was made and bottled, how do you know how long it sat on the dealers shelf?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 04:32PM by Ken Finch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shelf Life
Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-13.myvzw.com)
Date: July 11, 2018 05:35PM

At Flex Coat I like to talk about best practices, and on this subject we say that you should never buy a quantity of epoxy finish or glue that you can use in a year, though Flex Coat can last for much, much longer when stored in a dark, cool, dry place.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 11, 2018 05:35PM

mix a sample and see if it cures..keep the sample at room temp...if you live in an igloo, you got a problem..lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2018 05:51PM

The individual parts of the two part epoxies are stable for years. What does happen, is that the "hardner" portion yellows over time especially when exposed to light. I have never seen a 6 months shelf life warning on any of the rod wrap epoxies I use.

If you Google epoxy shelf life, you will find some say 2-3 years others " a long shelf life."

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2018 06:59PM

Due to the yellowing of the hardener, -- perfectly normal - I prefer to use any epoxy finish within a year.

For epoxy glues, I have used some that are 10 years old and have been perfectly fine.

I think that the rule about products being used in a year is a very good practice to follow.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2018 08:37PM

"Shelf Life" has to be from the time the product is made. There is no way to know how long a product has been sitting on a shelf and any such shelf life cannot possibly sit idly by and only "kick in" once the product is bought and shipped.

In terms of epoxies, there really isn't any appreciable shelf life in terms of the product setting and curing. As far as yellowing, that's going to happen either in the bottle or on the rod so I don't think it's something worth worrying about.

If you feel better about having what appears to be clear finish out of the bottle, don't buy large quantities. Buy only enough to do the rods you have planned or perhaps to last you six months. But it really isn't going to matter in the long run.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-98.nextgentel.com)
Date: July 12, 2018 01:45PM

I have Z-Poxy 30 minuttes epoxy bought 15 1/2 years ago. Good as new. The hardner is a tad yellow, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2018 07:08AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 13, 2018 11:41AM

If properly stored i.e. Sealed, placed in a cool location preferably without light, for instance a closet in the house epoxy should last indefinitely.

However as with all questionable epoxy I would mix a small batch to see if it sets up and fully cures before I use it.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster