I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparing CTS Affinity X to St. Croix legend elite
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.WA.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 05, 2018 01:02AM

Hello! I broke my beloved brown blank St. Croix legend elite 9’ 8wt and although St. Croix did replaced the rod with the latest legend elite, it felt nothing like my brown blank. Now I’m looking for something that has a similar action/feel and was thinking of trying out the CTS affinity x. Anyone have experience with both these rods and can give me a comparison? I love the quality and performance of my CTS double hander and figure I try the single hander series. Plus the options CTS gives you just makes it even more appealing for truly customizing. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparing CTS Affinity X to St. Croix legend elite
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.92.---)
Date: July 05, 2018 01:19AM

The new Legend Elite doesn't feel anything like the one you broke huh , what a bummer . Seems everybody loves the CTS Affinity X models so i would bet the house thats what most will recommend but i highly doubt you will get much feedback from people that own both . Any idea the year the rod you broke was that will help .

Herb at HNL Rod Blanks is great to deal with and he's a sponsor on the left side of the page , anyways good luck and i hope you enjoyed the holiday.

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.WA.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 05, 2018 02:46AM

Herb, I believe it was the 2005 model. It was when the St Croix legend ultra was still around as well.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.92.---)
Date: July 05, 2018 03:32AM

Sid Thao Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb, I believe it was the 2005 model. It was when
> the St Croix legend ultra was still around as
> well.

Oh OK , thats quite a long time . If you dislike it i would sell it and pick up what appeals to you now.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2018 11:15AM

Hey Sid and thanks Herb,

Rita and I just returned from a 2 month striper fishing trip to Cape Cod - on the fly only.
The season got a very late (2 weeks) start due to water temps.
The CTS Affinity-X is nothing like any St Croix model - especially the Affinity-X #8.
The #8 is probably one of, if not the best, #8 blanks around.

It makes for a very fast rod if you build it properly - LIGHT.
Like all CTS blanks - the recovery rate is phenomenal and it feels very light "in-the-hand". i.e. low swing weight.

It likes the Wulff Bermuda Triangle floater in an 8wt but will easily handle a 400gr line.

The last one I built for myself has 12 guides. Except for the Fuji Titanium frame and Torzite-ringed stripper - all guides are the REC Recoil spinning guides. The feet keep the line off the blank. It seemed to handle the weight very well - but next one I build will be conventionally built with 10 guides.
I'll use the same stripper. Then a #16 REC Recoil, spinning, then a #12 and then a #10. The rest will be #4 REC single foot fly single foot guides. The tip top will be the REC Recoil with large ring.

If you wish I will send for your testing - with some sort of security.

I do have another #8 un-built that I was going to build for myself in normal manner.

BTW - what CTS blank was used to build your 2 handed rod?

Regards,
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 11:18AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2018 10:58PM

Herb L., Sounds like a great rod. I don't think you can go wrong with a CTS blank. Herb C. It's going to be hard to match an older blank to the newer versions of anything that's made now. The best I think you can do is think of the improvements that you may have wanted in the old rod and try to incorporate them into the new build. I believe the CTS blank is going to have some things that you will really like.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 05, 2018 11:21PM

Lance,
A very good observation.
I have a GLX GLoomis #10, 2pc, fly rod circa 1995 that just sits in my rod rack because while it was "THE" 10wt in 1995 - it is old technology now.
Herb

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2018 02:11AM

Thanks for the info Herb! And yes I’ll take up on your kind offer to test drive your affinity X. Let me know what you’ll need.

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2018 02:14AM

Oh I have a 6/7wt 12’6” SK. It’s a crispy beast!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster