I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking about a DC motor
Posted by: Lee Semon (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2018 08:48PM

I don't plan on doing a lot of building.
What would be a good DC motor and power source for it if I went that way V what I was planning was a sewing machine motor and a reducer pulley?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking about a DC motor
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2018 12:36AM

Lee,
You are certainly on the right track with considering a DC motor. Hopefully, Roger will chime in to give you all required guidance, especially considering a speed controller rather than fixed RPM pulleys.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: June 30, 2018 10:31AM

Looking into the DC part I have no idea of how big of a motor or what controller to get?

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2018 11:47AM

I can't believe Roger has commented. He must have miss your post!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2018 03:01PM

Lee,
A few examples of motors that work very very well to use as a motor for wrapping rods:

[www.amazon.com]

I have tested a lot of different configurations and have found that for the bulk of builders, a maximum rod speed of 500 rpm works very well.

But, if one does not do a lot of fancy wrapping, and they do make a lot of very long butt wraps, then the use of a 1,000 rpm might be a better choice.

An example of a nice speed controller that will do a good job of controlling the speed:

[www.amazon.com]

Now, when looking for a speed controller - you do NOT want to use a controller like this one:
[www.amazon.com]

When you read the specifications, you find that the speed is only adjustable from 5% to 100%.
Since this controller does not adjust the speed down to 0%; you will not be able to have the motor stopped when the speed controller resistor is turned all of the way down.

I prefer the use of the 24 volt controllers, because this will let the motors be more powerful, than similar motors that run on 12 volts tc.

Then, you will need a 24 volt dc power supply to drive the speed controller and then the motor:

A power supply similar to this one will work nicely to power the motor:

[www.amazon.com]

Finally, you will need a foot pedal to control your speed controller, that you can put a resistor of the same value that is used for the speed controller inside the foot pedal to then control the motor speed with your foot.

Good luck

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (---.pa.qld.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 30, 2018 10:33PM

Can a sewing machine foot pedal be used or do you need a 12/24 volt foot pedal.did not grasp how to put a resistor in the pedal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 03:30AM by Scott Lawrence.

Date: July 01, 2018 05:45AM

Scott,
There is a significant issue with the foot pedal to control the speed of a dc motor.

The price of the dc motors is reasonable.
The price of the speed controllers is reasonable.

But, to get a good foot pedal that works well - can be expensive and not very reasonable.

Simply put, the potentiometer that is used with; and is part of the speed controller, is moved from the speed controller into the pedal. Then, the pedal needs to be able to change the resistor the same amount as is required of the speed controller when the variable resistor of the speed controller is moved from essentially 0 to 100%. If a standard resistor is used; that requires a movement of 270 degrees. If one wishes to use a conventional 0-270 degree variable resistor in the foot pedal; then one needs to use a rack and pinion or gear drive for the resistor. This style foot pedal is readily available on the market, but it comes at a pretty high price.

There are other electronic options for the foot pedal, but again - they need to be designed to work with the electronics of the speed controller.

One option to use for a foot pedal is to use a WAH pedal that is commonly used with guitar amplifiers and WAH systems. But, the correct potentiometer needs to be installed in the pedal and it needs to be of a type that will work with the internal mechanism of the pedal.

Another choice is to use the pedal of a Tig welder with a resistor of the correct value to allow the speed controller to work correctly.

--------------------------
A few examples:
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

However, you can often find very good pedals at very good prices on the used market. Just research your needs and buy accordingly.

But, be aware that many of these pedals will not work in an off the shelf configuration. Often the pedal will have to be disassembled, parts changed and wired and the pedal reassembled to have the pedal function as needed for the purpose.

Just realize, that to get the perfect control, reliability, and usefulness, you need a precision foot pedal to control your speed control and then the power wrapper. Without an excellent foot pedal, you will not be able to achieve the precision control that one would like to achieve with an excellent power wrapper.

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 05:50AM by roger wilson.

Date: July 01, 2018 09:29AM

Thanks for the info.
Lee

Posted by: Scott Lawrence (118.210.205.---)
Date: July 01, 2018 04:04PM

Thanks Roger.Always you give good advice and a wealth of knowledge.Cheers.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 01, 2018 09:30PM

Here's DC foot pedals, Saves a lot of farting around. Just match to your speed control Potentiometer Value such as 10K ohm to 10K. ohm [www.ssccontrols.com] This is the speed control I used it has a 10K ohm Potentiometer and works with the above foot-pedal, [www.amazon.com] is the motor I used they are very Quite and very strong in torque, They are Ball Bearing on the output shaft! Important for the side-loads used in belt drive systems, Power is like a cordless drill motor without the noise! And they sell Mounts for these motors as well.Very handy!! [www.servocity.com]. Mounts [www.servocity.com] My system is all 12 volt and I use an old Radio Shack 12 volt power supply for power. My whole set-up is very Quite! As I wrap at {Night with no distractions} In a room next to my wife's bedroom!! She says she can't even here me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 10:23PM by Jay Dubay.

Date: July 02, 2018 01:56AM

Jay,
Right on about the pedals that you listed. I used these pedals for the first units that I made. They work very well indeed.

The bottom line - is ; use a gear driven potentiometer to be able to rotate the potentiometer the full 270 degrees and you will be set to go.

Good luck

Date: July 03, 2018 09:40AM

Jay,
If you don't mind, could you post pictures of your wrapper components in the picture section?

It is always interesting to see the solution to issues by other builders.

Take care

Posted by: Alex Pineda (---.222.53.212.dsl.dyn.telnor.net)
Date: August 28, 2018 08:51PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lee,
> A few examples of motors that work very very well
> to use as a motor for wrapping rods:
>
> [www.amazon.com]-
> Electric-Motor/dp/B016VR4H5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi
> d=1530384301&sr=8-1&keywords=24+volt+500+rpm+dc+mo
> tor
>
> I have tested a lot of different configurations
> and have found that for the bulk of builders, a
> maximum rod speed of 500 rpm works very well.
>
> But, if one does not do a lot of fancy wrapping,
> and they do make a lot of very long butt wraps,
> then the use of a 1,000 rpm might be a better
> choice.
>
> An example of a nice speed controller that will do
> a good job of controlling the speed:
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> stable-Variable-Governor/dp/B00QIFA79K/ref=sr_1_17
> ?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1530384444&sr=1-17&keywords=24+v
> olt+motor+speed+controller
>
> Now, when looking for a speed controller - you do
> NOT want to use a controller like this one:
> [www.amazon.com]
> stable-Variable-Governor/dp/B00QIFA79K/ref=sr_1_17
> ?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1530384444&sr=1-17&keywords=24+v
> olt+motor+speed+controller
>
> When you read the specifications, you find that
> the speed is only adjustable from 5% to 100%.
> Since this controller does not adjust the speed
> down to 0%; you will not be able to have the motor
> stopped when the speed controller resistor is
> turned all of the way down.
>
> I prefer the use of the 24 volt controllers,
> because this will let the motors be more powerful,
> than similar motors that run on 12 volts tc.
>
> Then, you will need a 24 volt dc power supply to
> drive the speed controller and then the motor:
>
> A power supply similar to this one will work
> nicely to power the motor:
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> -Supply/dp/B007ME2HMQ/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?s=hi&ie=UTF
> 8&qid=1530385056&sr=1-14-spons&keywords=24+volt++1
> +++++++++amp++power+supply&psc=1
>
>
> Finally, you will need a foot pedal to control
> your speed controller, that you can put a resistor
> of the same value that is used for the speed
> controller inside the foot pedal to then control
> the motor speed with your foot.
>
> Good luck

********************************************************************************************

Roger, would those components work for a rod drier?

Posted by: Martyn Wilding (---.skybroadband.com)
Date: May 25, 2019 05:02PM

Hi Roger

Apologies for dragging this thread back up. I followed the links above to the DC motor & controller, not sure if it's because I'm in the uk but I couldn't find the exact ones that you linked to. I ended up with the following:

Motor

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Controller

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I used a 24v laptop adaptor to power it all up, but all I get I see the motor "inching" round about 5degrees at a time, evry couple of seconds.. doesn't make any difference if the switch is forward, reverse or off, it just does the same thing in the same direction. The speed controller makes no difference as well. The power indicator on the PCB, one of the direction lamps on the PCB and the lamp on the power supply all blink in time with the inching...

I guess I got something wrong with the components that I bought, I'm thinking maybe the controller, but thought I'd ask if you can diagnose the issue before I reorder... the motor works ok directly off the power supply, by the way...

Many thanks

Martyn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster