I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy in a high temp/humidity environment
Posted by: Tony Sanchez (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2018 08:18AM

I have my rod building area in my garage and I live in FL. It gets to 95 degrees in my garage this time of year. What adjustments should I make when applying an epoxy finish?

I started rod building a few months ago so it has not been too much of an issue yet, but now I have a rod ready for epoxy. I have been using ThreadMaster Lite and/or ProKote. When I mix a batch of epoxy I use an CRB mixer and run for 4 min. then apply to rod over the next 15-20 min. I rotate at 9 rpm for 4-5 hrs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy in a high temp/humidity environment
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 09:06AM

You will find the epoxy open and cure times are shorter as the temperature increases. And any bubbles ought release a bit easier and quicker.

You could mix up a batch of epoxy and observe the open and cure time to better anticipate the temperature impact.

Any chance to do finish work early AM or late PM to avoid the highest temperature?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 09:10AM

Tony

I live in Fl and the heat and humidity in the summer can be brutal. I have had no problems with the epoxies curing, Because the various epoxies cure at different rates I keep the mixing cup near the rod and check the cup to make sure the epoxy is cured before handling.

The only problem you will have is when you apply the epoxy at night. That is when all the insects come out and are attracted by the presence of the epoxy and lights in the work area. By time the epoxy sets you will windup with "insect art" in the epoxy. That is why I only do small repairs and epoxy work in the garage and only during the day. When I want to finish a complete rod I have a area in the house that I use temporarily, since I don't do that many rods it is not a problem tying up a small area for a few hours.

John

Date: June 25, 2018 09:18AM

John & Donald - thank you for your replies. I am less nervous now. I typically apply epoxy in the morning so the nighttime bug issues are not a problem. I also just bought a CRB drying tent

John - wherein FL are you located?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2018 09:19AM

Humidity has no effect on the set or cure time of any epoxy. Temperature does, however. Figure that from 70F, every 20F increase or decrease in temp will result in halving or doubling the set and cure time.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2018 09:50AM

Not sure if you do this or not, but if you will pour your mixture on to a flat surface after mixing and allow the finish to spread out, it will extend your working time versus the mixture staying in the confined area of the mixing cup. Bubbles also release easier.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: June 25, 2018 10:01AM

Thanks Bob - I do use the Mudhole foil epoxy dish.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 10:44AM

Ocala here, I often visit Tampa. Contact me via email if you want.

Date: June 25, 2018 11:04AM

Thanks Mark - email sent

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 12:30PM

Different types and brands of epoxy finishes have different pot lives and curing rates at any given temperature. I know that Prokote has a relatively long pot life compared to most other epoxy finishes. Not so sure about the pot life for ThreadMaster lite, however most lite finishes have a longer pot life than the regular build finishes. So when you are working at high temperatures there are two things you can do. 1) Use a long pot life finish, and you appear to be doing this, or 2) Extend the pot life of the finish by cooling it. You can cool by placing the mixed epoxy on top of a towel covered cold pack. If you need it, cooling will give you extra of time to apply your epoxy. At the high temperatures you are talking about the towel wrapped cold pack will keep the epoxy in the area of 70 - 80 degrees.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 12:42PM

Tony

Sanford area.

John

Date: June 25, 2018 12:54PM

About two years ago there was an article in RodMaker on how to make a finish "cooler." It allowed you to keep your mix at whatever temperature you wish, regardless of your shop temperature. In essence, it let you dial in your own pot life.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 01:43PM

Hello Tom.

Are you talking about "A Finish Cooler" By Chuck Brewer, if so it is in Volume 19 Issue 5 Page 12.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 25, 2018 02:30PM

Yes. Pretty clever idea.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 03:27PM

Hello Tom.

Yes it is!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 04:50PM

I hate bugs.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2018 12:55AM

a lot of what said goes against the physics of epoxy as it produces heat while curing and will take longer to fully cure at warmer temps and longer with colder temps if they are above or below the optimum cure temp recommended from the MFG. my suggestion is to mix as the directions recommend and apply with your choice of tool I prefer a spatula while rotating and go back and check for any bubbles and that the guide tunnels are filled and let it turn for at least 6-8 hours and check to see if it has cured and if so let it stand for a full 24 hours before putting it in to service.
I could be wrong but after 50 plus years of building and using epoxy finish since the late 60's I think what I have listed is correct and will yield the best finish possible

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 02, 2018 07:13PM

i like bugs, especially those made with deer hair..lol.

Posted by: Paul James Vonderwall (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 17, 2018 03:19AM

Hi guys has anyone tried drying tent as I'm thinking
Of getting one as I work in my garage it is the
Only place I can work do they do the job thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster