I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kenai River
Posted by: Bret Surrage (67.143.128.---)
Date: June 23, 2018 07:43PM

Asked to build some fly rods for the Kenai River in Alaska, Advice please on build, they are leaving it up to me. I have never been lucky enough.

Thank you in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kenai River
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 09:18PM

What's your budget, kings, or coho? Fished a 10 wt. Pac Bay Quickline last year for a while, it gets it done without breaking the bank.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 10:31PM

Fishing for, trout or Salmon? If Salmon which species?

Posted by: Grant Aldridge (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 24, 2018 10:06AM

I haven't been yet but am going in a few weeks, from everything I've read the Kenai needs a little bigger gear than the others, but there's even a difference in upper and lower Kenai. Lower is where the strongest kings will be, again from what I've been reading though!
I'm taking baitcasters and a 9wt. I just scored a 12wt so if it's here in time I may take it too to say I did

Speaking if, I'm headed to the shop now to work on getting my rods built lol, I seem to do my best work at the last minute

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 01:04PM

in Most cases fly rods are for sockeye salmon [ reds] 5 to 14 lbs close to shore ,& trout , Kings are closed this year so far ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 02:06PM

Fly rods are not only for Sockeye! They are especially fine for Coho and Sockeye, and if the right weight is used OK for Kings. I have fished them all with fly rods in both Alaska and British Columbia.

The size of the fish targeted determines the correct rod weight.

Date: June 24, 2018 02:18PM

I was gave a price range of 4-500 each and now asking for 8wt. problem is they want me to do a turn key set up, reel, line ext.

Date: June 24, 2018 02:20PM

He did not say, I am waiting on a little more info about that although he asked for a 8wt now.

Posted by: Grant Aldridge (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 24, 2018 02:54PM

Bret I don't think that'd be enough budget for me to do it, granted I haven't finished my first rod just yet but I'm figuring a quality blank and seat will be in the 100-150 range without going too crazy, guides and grips could easily be 100, fly line & backing another 100 on the low end, that leaves $150 for your time /labor and a reel (at the $500 target).

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 08:57PM

My experience on the Kenai fishing for Sockeye, suggests it is pretty hard on your gear, and broken rods are very common. So if you are building for money and you would have to do your own warranty work, I would factor that in. It's different if you just build a rod for a friend for the cost of parts. But a $500 budget all in, doesn't sound like there would be much left for the builder. You unfortunately do need a decent reel with a very robust drag there due to the current.

You could take the path of just recommending gear to him. Recommend good well priced gear with a good warranty that's already made. St Croix Imperial SC4/S2 8 weights would work well, cost about $220 each and come with an excellent warranty. TFO rods would be another good choice, just as examples. You wouldn't make any money, but you wouldn't have any liability either.

One other idea to save a few $$ and still use good quality parts, is to use the St Croix fly rod handle kits. They are really decent and well priced.

Anyway, good luck. I'm heading back up there in 3 weeks hoping for a cooler full of sockeyes to bring home. Rod wise, we'll take a mix of 8 wts and 9 wts, and lots of spares.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster