I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping thread diameter:
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 03:21PM

Lee had recently posted a note about using upholstery thread for wrapping rods, which I expect would work very well.
But, as a result of this note, and since I also do similar upholstery work, I decided to take some thread diameter measurements using my caliper.
When taking measurements, I made the caliper as close to the same tightness for each sample of thread. Then, I also repeated the measurements using other samples and came up with similar results. So, at least using this method the results are repeatable using this technique.

Starting with the Upholstery thread. This thread normally comes in 3, commonly used sized - 69, 91 and 135. The smallest number being the thinnest and the largest number being the thickest.

Testing as follows:
#69 nylon -- .069 inches
#69 poly sun guard - .068 inches
#92 nylon - .102 inches
#92 poly sun guard - .102 inches.
#135 nylon - .172 inches.

Now, lets see how this compares to common rod building thread in commonly used sizes using the same testing technique:

The thread is all gudebrod - unless noted differently:

Size a - .028 inches
Size a metallic - .05 inches

Size c - .051 inches
Size d - .051 inches
Note: double checked the lables on each of the c and d threads and they were well affixed and the tests were repeatable. However, I would normally have expected that the size d thread to be thicker. I may have had a spool of mismarked C thread.

Fishhawk size A - .021 inches
Fishhawk size A metallic - .041 inches

Power pro size A - .021 inches

------------
With a few examples of gudebrod metallic thread, I noticed some differences.
Color # 9656 - in type 521 metallic - .08 inches
Color #9105 in type 521 metallic - .041 inches.

The 9656 thickness appeared to be constant through the spool.

In random selections of Gudebrod metallic size a color selections, the size appeared to remain about the - .041 inch size.

Again, possibly this one sample of the 9656 could have been a mismarked metallic in size c or d metallic.

======================
Just for your own information.

Be safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping thread diameter:
Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 05:47PM

Roger, Can you test some of the new Hitena size A and B? They seem a lot thinner to me. I really like the thread.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 07:55PM

Most people that tried the thread like it , how can you go wrong free samples on it , most any size or color , just call them an ask , web site on the left under sponsors
no bad comments I know of ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 10:35PM

Anyone that has a caliper can measure it and post the results.

Good luck

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 23, 2018 11:12PM

In a previous Hitena thread a few who tried the samples said it felt thicker in diameter than the thread they usually wrapped with and Hitena took the feedback and was in the process of making it thinner , don't know what ever became of it though.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2018 11:57PM

I hope they don’t mess with it. I like it’s diameter.
Norm

Posted by: Hitena USA (47.185.147.---)
Date: June 24, 2018 02:34AM

As Herb mentioned, our thread diameter used to be told thick in sample stage and we made it a little thinner on production but now some people feedback it's thin. Every producer has different size standard in thread and they are different by CP/NCP, even by colors within the same type. Also it's almost impossible to measure thickness correctly coz there is no standard on how much pressure to be applied when measuring with calipers. Even the same thread measured with the same caliper, the result usually comes out different if measured by different person. That is the reason why denier is more widely used in industry but it has its own downside.

For our customers, I uploaded size compatibility chart in our product page here. [hitenausa.com]. From there, you will find our thickness is slightly thinner than others in same size but not that much. If you used Gudebrod NCP D, "M" Colorfast, "P" Nylon, however, you should find ours thin but they are actually quite thicker than other threads as well. For example, there is a big difference in Gudebrod NCP and Nylon even in the same D. Their NCP D is even thicker than our E while Nylon D is abt the same with our D. If you used "F" CP/NOCP, Gudebrod Nylon, "M" Nylon you won't find our thread that much thin. For us, we established our own standard to keep consistency in thickness by denier. In our threads, same size has same thickness range across all thread types like, Nylon, NCP, Silk, Metallic, Jasper,..., etc. Thanks.

* Size chart is based on our own measurement to provide a guideline for our customers and it's not from other producer's published data.

Gabriel Hwang
Hitena USA LLC
gabriel@hitenausa.com
[www.hitenausa.com]

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: June 24, 2018 09:44AM

Physically measuring something as soft and crushable as thread with a caliper is not likely to give you accurate or consistent measurements. If you know someone at a machine shop, an Optical Comparator is the only way that comes to mind to accurately measure thread and even then there will be the variables of measuring it with tension or with no tension, and if the thread is truly round and not oval, etc.

A practical way to compare relative thread thickness would be to make say 20 wraps of your "standard thread" around a blank, and 20 wraps of another thread and compare the two wraps for length.

Posted by: Lee Semon (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 03:54PM

Has anyone given any of the thread a break test?
I know that sunguard is hard to break and I wonder what the shrink value would be in all the thread in general or isn't that a consideration?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 05:05PM

Hello Lee.

Yes, some, but the guy that was working on it (Col Chaseling), died, I was checking the Numbers that GUDEBROD advertised, and then we were going to maybe start on the RICE threads, but when he died I do not know where he left off, I think he was working on the MADEIRA.

The GUDEBROD numbers did check-out, and if you look you can still find them listed on the net.

The reason we were having trouble communicating was he lived in Port Kembla, NSW Australia and I live in North Carolina, in the USA.

Perhaps someone else knows more than I do on this subject.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 25, 2018 09:10PM

Hi Gabriel..what is the break strength of your D and E thread..thanks..

Posted by: Hitena USA (47.185.147.---)
Date: June 25, 2018 10:12PM

Hi Ben,

D is abt 6.0 lb and E is abt 7.3 lb in average. There are some variations.
Thanks.

Gabriel Hwang
Hitena USA LLC
gabriel@hitenausa.com
[www.hitenausa.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster