I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I want to try Flex Coat which do i chose
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: June 16, 2018 08:26PM

Hi guys, I have been wanting to try Flex Coat for awhile now but I am not sure if I need the High Build or the Lite build. I have been using Pro Coat original and I like it but was just wanting to try something else. Also what is the working time with the Flex Coat? I know with the Pro Coat I have a long time to work with it around 45 to an hour before it gets thick. Any tips would be great. Thanks Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want to try Flex Coat which do i chose
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2018 09:09PM

- Forget about a 45 minute open time.

+ With High Build a one and done application is possible.

- ProKote medium viscosity is very forgiving with regard to bubbles; Flex Coat is a little less bubble forgiving.

+ Lots and lots and lots of rods built with Flex Coat.

The list of pluses and minuses goes on and on. Question is, what do you want from Flex Coat that ProKote is not doing for you.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 16, 2018 09:44PM

Justin

I use Flex coat Hi build (original) never had a problem.

Regardless what you use surface prep is paramount, and apply in the most dust free area available.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2018 11:56PM

I have used only flex high build for all of the many many rods that I have built over the years.

In reality, the working time of flex coat is about 5-10 minutes. By the time 30 minutes go by, the coating has cured enough so that it sags very little at this time.

So, when using flex coat, work quickly and or mix several small batches rather than a single larger batch.

When I am in production mode, I can generally get about 4 rods coated before the finish becomes unmanageable.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 17, 2018 10:43AM

I have used borh flex coats and Pro Kote and my conclusions are that the major difference between Pro Kote and the Flex Coats is cure time. Pro Kote took so long I was always worrying, even over a day after application. The differences between the Flex Coats is obviously viscosity, and I prefer the light over the high build. I most always have a nubbin or something to fix after the first coat, so like the lighter build of the lite.

It's all personal preference; all three will yield fine finishes.

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 10:47AM

Agree with Michael, Flex Coat lite for over 30 years. Yes on off-shore rods you have to apply more coats, but never had a problem.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-14.myvzw.com)
Date: June 19, 2018 06:00PM

Flex Coat Original Highbuild is the same formula for over 40 years. The best surprise is no surprise.

Flex Coat Lite has a thinner viscosity so that it is easier to achieve a thin coat, intended for fly rods.

Flex Coat Ultra-V is the most UV Protected formula we offer. Great adhesion and longer working time.

Flex Coat is on most high performance USA made manufactured rods.

MADE IN THE USA.

Always heat your finish prior to mixing till its warm to the touch (90ºF). Once thoroughly mixed, pour it out on a paper plate covered with aluminum foil, this will extend the working time and help pop any bubbles. You can even flash it with a torch to instantly pop all bubbles, even the small ones, be careful not to scorch.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2018 12:00PM

X10 on John's comments about Flex Coat.

Flex coat High build is the only finish that I have ever used for building many many rods over the years and have had 0 issues with the finish.

Good luck

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: July 15, 2018 07:43PM

I decided to try the UV Flex Coat. I put my primer coat on about an hour ago and plan to put the 2nd coat on in a few hours. Its 70 degrees and 60% humidity in my basement so things are going a little slow but it will be about four hours between coats. On the Flex coat video it was two and a half hours between but I figured id wait just a little longer with the cool temp and the humidity so high.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster