I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

You ever just want to keep one you made for someone else?
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (107.77.89.---)
Date: June 16, 2018 10:22AM

I just finished a rod that is a gift to my father in law and I actually dont want to give it him now. I purchased a blank from Mudhole, one of their oem 6'6" med lite when it was on sale just because it was " on sale for 25.00". I didn't know what to expect but FIL is just a recreational fisherman. After completing this build I decided I am going to pick up a couple more, (when they go on sale again)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: You ever just want to keep one you made for someone else?
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2018 11:23AM

I agree those Mudhole OEM blanks make a very nice rod for the money. I bought 10 of them when they were 50% off. Everyone of them went very quickly, and the people that got them love them. Soft tip which casts very nicely but with good strength in the lower half of the blank. I’ll buy more.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2018 02:05PM

From possibly another perspective, I put quite a bit of time, effort and love into every rod I build. When that rod leaves my shop in the hands of its new owner, a little bit of me goes with it. While certainly not as dramatic as one’s kid growing up and moving out of the house, it is similar but to a lesser degree.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (172.58.62.---)
Date: June 16, 2018 02:27PM

Absolutely. I built one for my late FIL as well. When he passed,I was offered the rod. I said it belonged with his son,not me. His son wept at my passing to it's rightful heir. That was 18 years ago now. His son still routinely fishes it and thinks of his father every time. And even of me despite my divorcing his step-sister. That was a special rod in so many ways.
As has been mentioned, a piece of me goes into every rod I build. When they are picked up, and I see the customers face light up,I know it could never have been mine to begin with.

Date: June 16, 2018 08:48PM

Touché, Chuck

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.57.---)
Date: June 17, 2018 06:22AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From possibly another perspective, I put quite a
> bit of time, effort and love into every rod I
> build. When that rod leaves my shop in the hands
> of its new owner, a little bit of me goes with it.
> While certainly not as dramatic as one’s kid
> growing up and moving out of the house, it is
> similar but to a lesser degree.

I totally agree, and use the “kid going to college” analogy every time I drop a rod off to a customer. I always ask to please send a pic of the first fish that’s caught, and always feel like a proud father when they do....I’ve got issues for sure...lol

Date: June 17, 2018 11:57PM

Ken,
Good, wholesome issues to have!!!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2018 04:32PM

Yup. I hold my breath before every reveal. Nothing beats the look on their face when you've met or exceeded expectations. No matter how special the build I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 19, 2018 09:31AM

Does it get any more custom than building a rod by oneself for oneself?

Date: June 20, 2018 01:13AM

Ben,
The rods I build for others are always more intricate/involved than what I produce for myself. They deserve it! When building for myself, I simply need the guides, grips and seat to stay put!!!

Mark Talmo

Date: June 20, 2018 01:06PM

Gee Mark, if that,s what you build for your self you must not be having much fun..lol..most customers are looking for bling because bling means it,s custom and they want to show the world they use custom rods..performance is next if it is even considered..i,m not buying it for one second..you have a tinkerers heart..i bet rods you build for yourself are quite involved and unique mainly to see if an idea will work..your not just going to buy someone elses ideas..

Date: June 20, 2018 01:24PM

Mark, a little birdy named CARL gave you away..lol.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.craigtechinc.com)
Date: June 22, 2018 11:22AM

I hate giving the babies away let alone the fact that I have SUCH insane "OCD" that I make 2 rods, no matter what style or pattern or color and if they only buy one rod, I kind of cringe!

What is REALLY awesome though is when I go to the beach fishing and I see one of my rods, in action. All the beach rods I make are Yellow so its easy to spot them!

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster