I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Will EVA "bounce back"?
Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2018 10:11PM

I'm working on a rod with an EVA fighting butt. I put at least a 1/8" layer of masking tape over it before I put it in the lathe, and thought I was being careful not to over-tighten, but apparently I did, as the jaws left minor indents in the EVA. It's been a day since I removed the tape, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. This is a donation rod for an event on June 24th, so I don't have much time to wait if I need to order another. Will this bounce back? I'd try sanding it a bit, but because it's the butt, I have no way to turn it.
Any advice would most appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will EVA "bounce back"?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 10:39PM

Warm it up with a hair dryer.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 10:40PM

maybe steaming it from a kettle or pot..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 11:17PM

x10 on the use of heat.
When this happens, as Ben pointed out, I simply rotate the rod in the steam from a tea pot and the dents come out rather quickly.

Good luck

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2018 08:04PM

You might want to consider setting up and using the bottle adapters I submitted and Tom published in Rod Maker 'magazine. You never have to deal wit such problems again, as you 'never have to put the grips in the chuck jaws again.

Posted by: Paul Wood (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2018 08:21PM

Steam worked! Thanks a million for the help!!!
Paul...can you elaborate on the bottle adapters you referred to, or maybe the issue of Rod Maker I can find the information in?
Thanks again, guys!

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2018 12:00PM

The adapters are in Rod Maker Volume 20- issue 2 . I used 1oz., 2oz. and 4oz. bottles that I save from epoxy, color preserver. brush cleaner. Chuck the bottle cap/ with bottle attached in the lathe and cut off the bottom and clean out the bottle. Just for reference I mark a ring around the bottle about a half inch below the shoulder of the now bottomless bottle. Next I cut four slits up the side of the bottle, bottom to ring. At the top of each slit I take a hole punch and punch a hole just below the top of the slit. This it allows the plastic to fold more easily conforming to the grip. To hold the bottles in place I use 3"x1/4" rubber bands. On hard butts such as plastic, aluminum or wood, I put a rubber band on the butt under the adapter and one over the adapter for better grip. On foam and cork the adapter with a rubber band over the adapter is likely all that is needed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2018 01:39PM

I have a very simple solution to your issue with depressions on the eva foam from the grip of a chuck.

Take blue masking tape that is 1/1/2 inches or 2 inches wide. Put on about 20 wraps on the butt of the grip.

Then, chuck the wrapped up rod butt into the lathe chuck and do your worst. When completely done with the rod, remove the blue tape and you will find there are no marks or depressions on the eva. +

The blue masking tape is low tack and will not leave any residue behind on the eva after its removal.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster