I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

deep crankbait blank
Posted by: Todd Redman (---.vicmesh.com.au)
Date: June 11, 2018 09:28PM

Hi all,

Looking to build a new crankbait stick for throwing the likes of DD22s, up to 1oz baits - any suggestions? Details:

- distance more important than accuracy
- will be running braid (likely 20lb but don't get hung up on this)
- heaps of bottom contact (rock and timber)
- max 7'6" preferred
- NOT 100% glass
- serious implosion feeders (Aust Murray Cod)

Am thinking along the lines of Phenix, St Croix or even MHX - though open to anything (that I can get hold of !)

While I'm at it, looking for the same but for deep 1/2 oz baits (occasionally 3/8 and 5/8) and 10lb braid.

Thanks very much,

Todd, Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:23AM by Todd Redman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: deep crankbait blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 11:20PM

One of the "judge" crank bait blanks from Batson will fill the bill very nicely.

These are exceptional blanks.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Posted by: Todd Redman (1.136.109.---)
Date: June 12, 2018 12:21AM

Thanks Roger

I’ll see how easy I can get hold of them.

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-141.myvzw.com)
Date: June 12, 2018 12:28AM

Here's the MHX blanks i ordered from mudhole, was a 8 foot 10-20 pound test line for crankbaits, i haven't used it on deep divers yet but have used it on medium divers and it seems ok. I built it as a spiral wrap.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Todd Redman (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 12, 2018 07:45AM

Thanks Bruce

If I go with MHX I think the 7’6” in the same spec will be my choice

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hampton.k12.va.us)
Date: June 12, 2018 08:19AM

I'm partial to the American Tackle CB728-15 or CB7210-20 for those applications. The CB72 8-15 is excellent for the lighter crank baits. I use 10lb braid on a 200 Shimano curado with these blanks regularly, and absolutely love the casting distance I get with the lighter baits.

Capt. Craig Freeman
Grading Scales Sportfishing and Back River Rods

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: June 12, 2018 09:03AM

Roger it’s good to hear positive reviews on the judge, I have been interested in them for a while but you don’t hear much about them. I will toss in a recommendation on the revaluation revcb76h-sb. Tailor made for the baits you are looking to use but I’ve never gone after Murray cod so I cannot speak to that aspect.

Tom

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 12, 2018 01:29PM

Thomas i believe you posted about wanting somebody with first hand experience with the Judge blanks and i was also interested , Roger didn't comment in that thread , maybe he recently picked one up or maybe he's just going on Batson's reputation . If he has experience fishing the Judge i as you would love to hear about it.

Date: June 12, 2018 10:00PM

Herb indeed I do have a post regarding the judge. I was anxious to read Rogers thoughts on them after seeing him post here. Maybe he missed the post or somehow I upset him and he chose not to comment. Hope that’s not the case and if so I am sorry it happened.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.98.---)
Date: June 13, 2018 12:22AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Herb indeed I do have a post regarding the judge.
> I was anxious to read Rogers thoughts on them
> after seeing him post here. Maybe he missed the
> post or somehow I upset him and he chose not to
> comment. Hope that’s not the case and if so I am
> sorry it happened.

Never assume the worst when a feeling first pop's into your head , in the overwhelming majority of cases it's much simpler and easily explainable . My guess as to why he didn't comment in your original thread is that he doesn't yet own a Judge but going on Batson's rep it's a solid recommendation so he threw it out there for Todd to consider . Can't deny it's a great looking and feeling blank and may fit what Todd is looking for .

If he does own a Judge than you're right he's really @#$%& ( Kidding) .

Date: June 13, 2018 09:30AM

Thanks Tom - I’m also considering the Revalation in 7’6”- do you feel the H is a better option than the MH for baits in the 3/4oz to 1oz range?
By the sound of things The Judge would be a great option (especially with a glass tip on big strikes), but I get the feeling the Revalation will have it easily covered in the distance - and sensitivity- department.
Either way I still need to find a way to get hold of them - being down under n all.
Thanks again everyone for your kind advice.
Todd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2018 09:36AM by Todd Redman.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 13, 2018 11:01AM

Hi Todd,

The Revelation will work great for you. The Judge is awesome but does have a higher price tag of course.

For Australia check with these guys, they have accounts with us (Batson):
ACM Custom Rods - [www.acmcustomrods.com.au]
BJS Custom Rods - [www.facebook.com]
Ultimate Rods - [www.ultimaterods.com.au]

Todd Redman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Tom - I’m also considering the Revalation
> in 7’6”- do you feel the H is a better option
> than the MH for baits in the 3/4oz to 1oz range?
> By the sound of things The Judge would be a great
> option (especially with a glass tip on big
> strikes), but I get the feeling the Revalation
> will have it easily covered in the distance - and
> sensitivity- department.
> Either way I still need to find a way to get hold
> of them - being down under n all.
> Thanks again everyone for your kind advice.
> Todd.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: June 13, 2018 06:45PM

Todd in the case of the heavier lure I definitely prefer the h over the mh.

Posted by: Todd Redman (---.vicmesh.com.au)
Date: June 14, 2018 07:22PM

Thanks everyone

With all your excellent suggestions, and that I have researched myself into a stupor, I think I will be drawing a whole bunch of names out of a hat !

Todd.

Date: June 15, 2018 11:18AM

Todd,
Right on.
The reason that you feel the way that you are feeling, is that there are many different blanks and blank manufacturers that provide a very nice blank for your purpose.

I suggest that first you suggest selecting a brand that you wish to work with.

Then, use the blank in that brand that meets your needs for a particular build and go to the shop and build the rod.

Good luck

Date: June 15, 2018 11:36PM

I totally agree Roger.

A significant hurdle living in Australia (read painfully small market) is that there is in effect not a single shop in the whole country that stocks one of these blanks, let alone all three of my shortlist (Rainshadow, MHX, Bushido - going with 100% graphite for sensitivity).

I will end up with a nice stick whichever way I go, but you can appreciate my dilemma - particularly as I’m fussy with my rods.

Thanks again everyone for your contribution on this fantastic forum - a great resource for people who have little access to any material without spending $$$

Cheers ,

Todd.

Date: June 16, 2018 12:13AM

Todd,
Read and understood!!

I grew up in the western US - which had a similar issue. i.e. sparse population and sparse resources. Of course with the advent of the NET that has changed. But, that was not the case when I grew up.
i.e. we just had to make do!!

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster