I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing & Size for CTS Affinity SK Spey Blanks
Posted by: Shizen Mui (---.bbtec.net)
Date: June 11, 2018 02:41AM

I have 3 CTS Affinity SK blanks (1)11'0" #4-5, (2)12'0" #6-7, (3)12'6" #8-9 and would appreciate your help about guide spacing and sizes. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing & Size for CTS Affinity SK Spey Blanks
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2018 11:02AM

Shizen,
I will require your distance from rod tip to reel measurement for each of your builds.
A reasonable good guess is also acceptable. This will take into account your desired grip length and spacing.
Middle of reel seat is close enough and I can make up a couple of variations you can choose between.

Gene

Date: June 12, 2018 08:34AM

Gene,
Thanks for your reply. Below is the distance from rod tip to the middle of reel seat measurement.
(1)11'0" #4-5 : 125 47/64 inch (front grip length 11", rear grip length 4.4", reel seat length 3.75")
(2)12'0" #6-7 : 137 19/64 inch (12", 4.8", 3.81")
(3)12'6" #8-9 : 144 1/4 inch (12.6", 5.04", 3.81")

Shizen

Date: June 12, 2018 11:02AM

Shizen,

The light wire guides at the rod tips can be titanium for quicker response
I prefer to use insert guides for the lower two guides

Distances are from rod tip to guide

11' CTS 4-5
1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; 8 ; 9 ; 10
4.6 ; 9.9 ; 15.9 ; 22.7 ; 30.5 ; 39.3 ; 49.4 ; 60.9 ; 74.0 ; 88.9
std tip top ; (4) #1 light wire single foot ; (1) #1 light wire snake ; (2) #2 snake ; (1) #3 snake ; (1) #10 double foot alox ; (1) #12 double foot alox

12' CTS 6-7
1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; 8 ; 9 ; 10 ; 11
5.5 ; 11.5 ; 18.0 ; 25.2 ; 33.0 ; 41.4 ; 50.7 ; 60.8 ; 71.8 ; 83.8 ; 96.9
std tip top ; (4) #2 light wire single foot ; (1) #2 light wire snake ; (3) #3 snake ; (1) #4 snake ; (1) #10 double foot alox ; (1) #12 double foot alox

12'6" CTS 8-9
1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; 8 ; 9 ; 10 ; 11 ; 12
5.0 ; 10.5 ; 16.4 ; 22.9 ; 30.0 ; 37.7 ; 46.1 ; 55.3 ; 65.3 ; 76.2 ; 88.1 ; 101.1
lg tip top ; (4) #2 light wire single foot ; (1) #2 light wire snake ; (3) #3 snake ; (1) #4 snake ; (1) #5 snake ; (1) #12 double foot alox ; (1) #16 double foot alox

Date: June 12, 2018 12:08PM

Gene,

Thank you very much and appreciate your thoughtful reply!
I wonder how you come out such a guide setting.

Shizen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:14PM by Shizen Mui.

Date: June 12, 2018 01:03PM

Shizen,
I created a spreadsheet based on rod length and number of guides.
This creates a progressive guide spacing which formula is manipulated based on the rod strength at the tip.
Guides sizes are practical experience based on fly line size.
Guide strength is based on rod strength and guide weight is based on distance location from the rod center of rotation.
Most builders will follow a table or utilize visual assessment. One size fits all is a very subjective topic.
I prefer to adjust based on anticipated dynamic rod deflection characteristics.

Gene

Date: June 13, 2018 08:52AM

Gene,

Thank you for sharing your thought. It is very interesting to hear that you determine the guide setting by rod characteristics.
This is a topic I just had a discussion with expert builder friends recently. He concluded there no need to consider rod taper or action in setting guides and most rods are just fine to be built following the chart.
I have been thinking the rod characteristics should be taken into count especially for the fly rod so the question is still remains.
I am still a novice so have no logic to counter though.

Shizen

Date: June 14, 2018 12:53PM

Shizen,

Difficult question to answer.
Depends on the individual need and drive for fulfillment
To most, fishing is attaching a weight and a piece of bait to a hook and line.
Throwing to where they choose and waiting for the fish to impale itself on the hook.
A fly fisherman has not chosen the easy approach.
The learning curve is steep and time consuming. The frustration level can be high. The challenges can be formidable.
Where is the fish ? What is the appropriate fly and tippet ? How can the fly be correctly presented ?
Can I make the required cast ? Can I achieve the required drift ?
It's great when a plan comes together. When it doesn't, can the results be analyzed for reason for failure ?
I believe the custom build of a fly rod to be just as meticulous.
I choose the path least taken and most challenging. The rewards are the challenge to myself and the appreciation
of success and failure to my own responsibility.
This is not the easy road. It requires thought and testing with a critical minded purpose of achieving better results.
You may choose to take either path, you must accept responsibility for the results.
You asked for suggestions and I supplied answers to the best of my ability.

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster