I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swimbait blank
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: June 07, 2018 09:40AM

I'm looking to build a swimbait rod for myself. It will be a baitcaster, and it's primary use will be for redfish. I will probably be using 17+ lb fluro or mono. I plan to throw Berkley Grass Pigs, Yum Money Minnows, and Skinny Dippers on 1/4 oz weighted swimbait hooks. I was considering the Rainshadow Revelation REVSB710MH-SB. I know lure weights aren't gospel, but this looks a little heavy for these baits. Some other blanks that I've seen that may fit the bill are MHX SWB956, Bushido SWB710/12-25, Phenix USB-711MH-B, Phenix USB-790H-B, St. Croix 4C710HF, and Phenix USB-711MH-C-B. Does anyone have any experience with these blanks and opinions? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swimbait blank
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 10:08AM

For many manufacturers a swimbait rod is for really BIG swimbaits up to 8oz. You certainly do not need one of those for the lures you are using. I fish the exact same swim baits that you describe, and have been very happy with my Point Blank PB76MHF. A nice tip for casting these lures and plenty of power.
Norm

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: June 07, 2018 10:42AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For many manufacturers a swimbait rod is for
> really BIG swimbaits up to 8oz. You certainly do
> not need one of those for the lures you are using.
> I fish the exact same swim baits that you
> describe, and have been very happy with my Point
> Blank PB76MHF. A nice tip for casting these lures
> and plenty of power.
> Norm

Thanks Norm. That's what I was thinking, these baits don't seem to fit the "swimbait" profile of the rods. If I wanted the length, what do you think of the Rainshadow REVC710MH-SB. Medium Heavy Fast, 3/8 - 1 oz lure weight.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: June 07, 2018 11:01AM

Seth,

I've been fishing the MHX FS904 for a couple years and I love it. It can handle exactly what you've described and is a great blank. Don't let the "Flipping Stick" designation throw you. It would be perfect for what your describing. It's sweet spot is the 1/2 oz total weight lures.

Joe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 12:12PM

Both the MHX and Rainshadow Revelation blanks are very nice blanks and are a good value. They should work well. However, they will both be about 1 oz heavier than the Point Blank, which gives the Point Blank a very light and unique feel, that I really like. It depends on what you want to spend. The Point Blank is more expensive, but is a great rod.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.tmodns.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 02:26PM

I have built more than a few rods on the Revelation blanks and you won' be disappointed. Norman is correct about the Fuji Point Blanks, they are lighter and they are really great blanks but there is a step up in price point. I have backed off of Phenix blanks in the last year because of some breakage issues with my customers. Although I have not broken one some of the people I have built for have, that being said the Phenix Recon II blanks have held up great and have had no issues as some of their other models.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster