I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing handle from casting rod
Posted by: Dondi Rogers (---.sub-174-193-131.myvzw.com)
Date: June 05, 2018 09:03PM

Before I get fussed at I did do a search for this topic and did not find anything.

This is my first post on this site. I’ve been reading for a while. I have always wanted to build my rods. Casting, spinning and fly. I am 55 yrs old and have never done one before until this past weekend. I purchased two rod blanks. One each for spinning and casting. I also purchased two handle kits because I wasn’t sure on what to buy. The reason for my post is that I am very disappointed in the handle kits. They are both split grips with cork. The cork looked fine at first. The butt needed no reaming on the casting rod. However, the cork for the handle does not even come close to matching the graphite reel seat. Much smaller. The fore end had a existing hole that did need some reaming, but very little. However, I think the original hole was not drilled straight. When the fore end was placed and the epoxy dried I noticed the fore end at a slight angle as if the hole is not straight. Maybe I did it in the reaming, not sure, but it was so little I don’t know that I changed the angle. Anyway, how can I get these off without damaging the blank? Reel seat included. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing handle from casting rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 09:42PM

here ya go some to read and if you have more questions just ask the group

[rodbuilding.org]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2018 09:56PM

Get a pair of work gloves and string a length of braided fishing line between your hands. Now work down close to the blank and see if you can "shave" the cork grip off in slices. This works very well with EVA or Hypalon. Cork may be a bit different, but if you get it to work it'll be a real time saver.

The reel seat may need to be spiral cut and broken from the rod. If you did a good job adhering it and used epoxy, they're very difficult to easily remove and few are salvageable.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 10:18PM

Dondi,the replies above should answer your question.
Next time,it would be wise to do a dry fit of the components before you mix your epoxy.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 11:17PM

Removing a grip from a rod is one of the more difficult things that a first time inexperienced rod builder can do. The potential for disaster is quite high. You can do it but proceed with caution and take your time. It will be a learning experience.

Tape the exposed bank between the split grips using masking tape. You can carefully chip away the cork grip using a utility knife. Do not take a pair of pliers and try to ‘chew’ off the cork using the pliers’ teeth. This can easily result in cracking, splitting or crushing the blank. Once you get most of the cork off you can remove the remainder by careful scraping with the blade of the utility knife held at a 90 degree angle. Do not try to shave or cut it off, you may cut the blank. Instead of scraping the cork away you can carefully sand it smooth. You do not need to get it perfect because the new grip will cover everything, so flaws will never be seen. If you are happy with the reel seat and it’s location you do not need to remove it, you can retrofit your new grips from the rear. When reaming a grip to fit, use a reamer that can be chucked into a cordless drill. Let the grip slip in your hand while turning. this will help keep the hole centered. Do not force the reamer into the grip, just go in a little bit at a time and pull back to clear the cork dust. Check for fit often. For retrofitting the grip, you need for the grip to snuggly fit over the butt end of the rod, thus you may need to shim the blank a little near the reel seat. This can be done with dry wall tape or masking tape to get a snug fit. However, the area where the old grip was may be built up enough to get a snug fit. Use rubber/vinyl winding checks, because they wil stretch and fit over the butt, and wii give a nice finished look. Use a paste type of epoxy for gluing the grip in place, this will fill any voids and give a solid fit.

If you don’t like the reel seat then you can remove it in several different ways. The most dangerous way is to try and cut it off with a dremel tool or hacksaw blade, good chance of cutting the blank. I like to try and get it off in one piece. Once the cork is removed, I will get a piece of PVC tubing that will fit over the butt and butt up against the reel seat with several inches overhanging the blank. I heat the reel seat with a heat gun or boiling water. When the seat is good and warm I tap the end of the PVC tube with hammer. In most cases the seat will break free quite easily. With every thing removed clean up the best you can and install your new grip and reel seat. Just remember, be careful and take your time. I have done this hundreds of time with excellent results.
Norm

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:08AM

Good tips Norman..i especially like the tip to remove the seat with the pvc tubing..Thanks..

Posted by: Dondi Rogers (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:44PM

Thanks to all. I will try the PVC trick for the seat!

Posted by: Dondi Rogers (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 06, 2018 08:44PM

Thanks to all. I will try the PVC trick for the seat!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster