I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

United Composite Blanks
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.chtrptr.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 06:53PM

Folks, would any of you be willing to comment on this blank manufacture as it relates to Bass Blanks, especially for Swim Bait applications. Say up to 2 oz. or slightly more. Your comments would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: United Composite Blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2018 08:20PM

United makes four models last I looked, DHX construction with some glass also, see a lot of people using them for inshore fishing also. The lightest version is probably the one you want for 2 oz. lures. Have many DHX rods for bass from the original company GUSA like them a lot, Also own saltwater rods and fly rods with the same construction, like them all and have not broken any of them though I've seen many rods from other manufacturers under the same conditions blow up.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 04, 2018 02:14AM

The construction appears to {me} as being very close to, Or very similar to the, Fuji line of, Point Blank Series of Blanks, ??? Being Spiral wound V/S A more Linear type construction? In the carbon fiber layout? Would that be correct in general in my assumption ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 02:34AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2018 09:45AM

Why don't you just call Randy (the Owner) and ask him what you want answers to. He knows his product and has a competition Bass Fisherman working there.

Date: June 04, 2018 11:08PM

Thanks for the name and the comment!

Date: June 04, 2018 11:08PM

Thanks for the name and the comment!

Date: June 05, 2018 07:04AM

Jim Upton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why don't you just call Randy (the Owner) and ask
> him what you want answers to. He knows his product
> and has a competition Bass Fisherman working
> there.

Geez Jim I could have said that myself. And I'm sure Randy Penny will tell me his blanks are the best! Because he produce's them here in the US, It doesn't mean it's true? And I'm sure his Bass Pro will do the same!! It's His Job that's what he's paid for !! Just like you can say your weave's are the Best in the World, Well no offence but I'm Not into weaves, And with a fresh water blank's theirs really no room for one, But i am partial to Steve Mcleod's work. This is a discussion forum! A place for builders to get some feed back, And try to get a feel for what to expect on products such as Blanks, Component's, And whatnot. The Original Question asked was {Folks, would any of you be willing to comment on this blank manufacture as it relates to Bass Blanks} I guess what we were looking for Is some {Real User Reviews} On these Lighter freshwater blanks! Spencer touched on them a bit, He never broke one or had one Blow up, OK well I have a 15 year old Ugly Stick that I have never had break or Blow up ether? Do I like it? No can't say I do! When I have some one with limited experience, That's the rod I give them. I Never see UC blanks talked about here much at all, So I assume theirs a reason?? I find plenty of online reviews on their salt rods but that about it, But I don't build for salt, Sooo I guess I'll just check them off my list. Thanks have a Good Day! Jaa

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2018 10:46AM

Jay,

Jim probably posted what he did because he personally knows Randy Penny, and worked with him for many years.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: June 05, 2018 11:49AM

The part about the bass pro is what sold me..lol..i,m sorry, i just can,t forgive those people and their alababa.rigs..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.37.---)
Date: June 05, 2018 12:51PM

Other bass pros that have used the DHX bass rods, and have no dog in rhr hunt, Rich Forhan for one. One of his Revolver rods got me to try the blanks.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.56.30.---)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:21PM

So what do think about them Spencer? I have yet to try one either and I have been interested. I do like light blanks and I was hoping they were light and strong.

Date: June 06, 2018 08:18PM

The FLW TOUR - 2018 - On LAKE ST. CLAIR Is coming to town the end of the month, But I don't see Rich Forhan fishing it, But I will stay on the lookout , Thanks for the heads up. Spencer.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2018 09:25PM

If you doubt that Rich Forhan is not the most influential custom rod builder of all time, including his consulting and work for major rod manufacturers, you don't know your rod building history. I would wager that every rod used in the Lake St. Clair FLW event will sport innovations developed by Rich Forhan.

Date: June 06, 2018 09:45PM

For me his best idea by far is the locking wrap..i simply quit using double footed guides because of the locking wrap for single foots..Thanks Rich!

Date: June 06, 2018 09:47PM

For me his best idea by far is the locking wrap..i simply quit using double footed guides because of the locking wrap for single foots..Thanks Rich..

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 12:31AM

Jay, what Jim suggested to do was to simply present his questions about the blank to Randy. The question was about the blanks, not simply "are they the best or not." Second, prostaff for Southern California companies aren't paid, sponsored at a discount maybe. I know pro staff from United Composites and its not like they get everything for free. Its a fair question to ask the owner, any responsible person making a build should do that IMO. How are the blanks rolled, what is the modulus, how much glass if any, what would you recommend I pull on. Examples of great questions that the manufacturer answers best. I would never ask an owner of any company if their rods are the "best". Duh, no kidding of course they will say so (or maybe not who knows, maybe they are fully aware of their niche). I will however ask owners objective questions about their products so I can make an educated decision for myself on what works for me or not.

In any case back to the question, UC rolls their blanks with the advertised dual helix core with the emphasis on strength. Their United DHX models are fully graphite and inherited a lot of qualities from the original Graphite USA which produced a very strong graphite rod. It all depends on what kind of rod you are looking for. What I found with their blanks is that their actions resemble a medium modulus rod, average in weight, sensitivity, and power, but definitely more reliable in regards to strength (and warranty). On the UC rods Ive built the tips of their rods were thicker than what was advertised and the action and less dramatic at the tip and more focused on 1/4 down. While decent I wouldn't compare them to other higher modulus offerings like higher end Phenix, NFC, or Point Blank, its just a different type of rod. If you want to know more about how the blanks are actually rolled, and what their intended niche and function is, I would follow Jim's advice and CALL RANDY PENNY.

Best of luck Mark

Nick

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2018 12:38AM

Lance,
They are not the lightest bass blanks, but not a ridiculous difference. I wager you'll not find a more strong, durable one. How durable? I've never broken one and I got an unbelievable story about a 9ft 6 in. 6 wt. fly rod that caught a 14 lb. steelhead that I'm convinced no other rod would of survived in that weight class.
They have built the only all graphite heavy saltwater rods, some have been in use for decades. Even rail rods.
They use a durable layup that was developed for the aviation industry, instead of the linen layup used by many companies over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2018 12:44AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: June 09, 2018 03:06PM

I appreciate the responses. Your thoughts gave me the information I was seeking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster