I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dust
Posted by: Douglas Respress (72.2.235.---)
Date: May 31, 2018 07:04AM

I am having an issue with dust. What is everyone doing to keep dust off of the epoxy while drying? I make sure the rod is dust free before applying epoxy. I was thinking about getting a couple of air purifiers to filter the air.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dust
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:00AM

They will certain help.

Generally it is not dust, but airborne dust that is the problem. So you shouldn't be stirring the air from any shop operations just prior to or during the time a rod finish is drying. Some builders have found static electricity to be a problem as well and will introduce a bit of humidity into their shops during the drying operation.

Posted by: Tony Tomanek (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:24AM

Cover the rod. I use the CRB tent but before that, I just rigged up some visqueen.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:38AM

Doublass,
If you don't have one - pick up an electric leaf blower.

Then, once a week, open the windows in the rod building area and starting at the door - use the leaf blower to go over every square inch of your rod building area with the leaf blower and blow all of the dust out the windows.

Obviously, before doing this, make sure that all of the light items in the rod building area are clean and put away so that you don't blow a bunch of guides or thread out the window with the dust.

Also, if possible, do not have any sanding or grip shaping area in the same place where you do your blank and guide wrapping and finish application and drying.

Finally, if you don't have one already, make yourself an enclosed rod drying area, if you can not rid yourself of the dust. The majority of dust that falls, comes from above. So, normally, if you just have an open fronted box to enclose your rods while applying finish and drying will cure the vast majority of dust type issues.

Good luck

--
p.s.
I do all of my grip shaping and sanding in a separate building. After I have finished a job and have swept the floor, I open the doors and windows in the building and use high pressure air to completely blow off every surface - including the ceiling walls, floors and all shelves and benches so that the area will be ready for the next job.

It is amazing how great a cleaning job that high pressure air or high veloccity wind does to remove dust from the surfaces and air of a building or working area.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 08:38AM

Doublass,
If you don't have one - pick up an electric leaf blower.

Then, once a week, open the windows in the rod building area and starting at the door - use the leaf blower to go over every square inch of your rod building area with the leaf blower and blow all of the dust out the windows.

Obviously, before doing this, make sure that all of the light items in the rod building area are clean and put away so that you don't blow a bunch of guides or thread out the window with the dust.

Also, if possible, do not have any sanding or grip shaping area in the same place where you do your blank and guide wrapping and finish application and drying.

Finally, if you don't have one already, make yourself an enclosed rod drying area, if you can not rid yourself of the dust. The majority of dust that falls, comes from above. So, normally, if you just have an open fronted box to enclose your rods while applying finish and drying will cure the vast majority of dust type issues.

Good luck

--
p.s.
I do all of my grip shaping and sanding in a separate building. After I have finished a job and have swept the floor, I open the doors and windows in the building and use high pressure air to completely blow off every surface - including the ceiling walls, floors and all shelves and benches so that the area will be ready for the next job.

It is amazing how great a cleaning job that high pressure air or high veloccity wind does to remove dust from the surfaces and air of a building or working area.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 10:34AM

Better and new air filter helps. Keeping the work area clean and minimizing traffic in the work area helps. A humidifier helps. Reducing static charge helps by using a cling-free clothes dryer sheet helps, but be extremely careful if you do as those things sometimes contain silicone which is very bad for epoxy. A poor man's tent over the drying rod, which tent can be made from long pieces of aluminum foil helps. Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all, certain to work solution.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-19.myvzw.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 09:01PM

I use a free standing Honeywell HEPA filter for at least 24 hours before any epoxy work. I turn it and the ceiling fan off during the work and cure time.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-19.myvzw.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 09:02PM

Doible posted. Sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 09:02PM by Gary Kilmartin.

Posted by: Douglas Respress (---.sub-174-235-129.myvzw.com)
Date: June 02, 2018 06:00AM

Thanks for the information everyone. I will give them a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster