I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One Locking Nut Vs. Two
Posted by: Eugene Crist (184.103.143.---)
Date: May 30, 2018 03:24PM

For my next fly rod build I'm putting together a 1 wt ultra-lite setup, TFO Finesse blank. I have a UL8 reel seat that should work ok but it only has one locking nut, as does the current 2 wt Mudhole kit I'm working on now. I kinda prefer two nuts if I can get an appropriate size reel seat with them. My factory rods have them, even my 3 wt Cabela's model. I've never had a reel come loose before with the seats with two locking nuts but don't have any experience with single nut seats. Are they any more prone to working loose? They must work ok or I figure there wouldn't be so many available. Anyway, if anyone could let me know if there's any logic behind single nut vs two locking nuts I'd love to hear.

Re: One Locking Nut Vs. Two
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2018 03:48PM

It really depends on the seat. Most nylon/composite type seats need only one due to the seat's ability to slightly stretch-conform to the reel foot and associated compression, which tends to resist loosening due to vibration or temperature change. Generally, metal seats have had two nuts as means of creating a jam lock between the two nuts. About all you can do in this instance with your metal seat and one nut, is rely on the advise of others that have used the same seat.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 05:01PM

Most lighter weight fly rod reel seats are single nut. I build only fly rods and have never had an issue with single nut seats. I d prefer double nuts on heavy rods.

Date: May 30, 2018 06:00PM

Thanks Tom and Phil - appreciate the info. Phil since you never had a problem with them on the lighter rods, and the two I have for my next two builds have wood inserts, I'll be ok with the single locking nut. Tom I can see how it could matter with an aluminum insert. I think if I wanted an all aluminum seat, like with a saltwater rod, I'd only consider two locking nut seats.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2018 06:26AM

A firm rubber O-ring between the nut and seat works well to keep the nut tight as well also, Any Big Box hardware store will have them.

Date: May 31, 2018 08:54AM

Jay Dubay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A firm rubber O-ring between the nut and seat
> works well to keep the nut tight as well also, Any
> Big Box hardware store will have them.

Jay - I saw a couple of seats advertised with a rubber o-ring to prevent slippage like you're saying but I can't picture how it goes. So is the ring in front of the nut or under the nut? O-rings weren't visible in the pictures of the seats I saw advertised so that's why I'm asking if they're recessed somehow under the nut somewhere.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 31, 2018 11:27AM

Hello Eugene.

Hood-O-Ring-Nut.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Eugene Crist (---.dhs.gov)
Date: May 31, 2018 11:36AM

Thanks Rob - got it! I like it. I can see how that would work well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster