I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Kote
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 08:02PM

I'm using the Pro Kote finish and I notice that its collecting on the center of the wraps ( at the guide foot area) and not spreading to the end of the wrap where it meets the rod. This is my second coat , any thoughts?? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Kote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2018 08:18PM

Either too much finish; rod is not level, or rotation speed is too high.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 28, 2018 08:29PM

Us a brush or spatula to even it out, You don't give any details how you applied it??

Date: May 28, 2018 09:49PM

I am applying with a brush, rotation is 18 rpms. Apply finish and just hold brush against guide to spread.I leveled the turner base prior to coating.( could the rod supports not be level at the butt end?) I also noticed that the snakes are fine it's only on the strippers. It's a 13'3" two handed spey rod.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 02:30AM

Prokote though marketed as a medium finish is pretty light build, which means it will more easily spread to the most distal portions of your wrap (the guide feet) in this example. It would get even worse with thinner finishes, or if you heated the finish where it thinned too much. You can either put on much thinner coats and more of them, or you can switch to a high build finish and see how it works for you.

Best of luck,
Nick

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 08:10AM

I use the ProKote medium viscosity epoxy product and would wager $s to donut holes your problem is primarily excess epoxy on the wraps.

Here are things to try:

1. The epoxy, even the light or medium viscosity formulations, will not do a good job migrating to the wrap edges without help. Am not suggesting you paint the epoxy on the wraps, rather that you "push" the epoxy to the edges.

2. It is not probable you can get one coat and done coverage with ProKote medium viscosity, so do not try. Instead, plan on at least two, and sometimes three, THIN coats to cover and seal well.

3. You can spin the rod quickly to obtain a straight epoxy edge beyond the wraps, but quick rotation while curing is not such a good idea.

4. The first half hour after applying the epoxy is golden. Do not worry about dry spots - you can correct those with the next coat. And do not set the rod to turning in a dryer. Instead, turn the rod 180 degrees by hand each minute for 10 minutes, watching the wraps like a hawk for any epoxy sags which you will need to wick off. Then turn 180 degrees every two minutes for another 20 minutes. Then, after having turned by hand for 30 minutes you can user a dyer for about 8 hours.

Again, the keys to success are THIN coats and turning by hand for about 30 minutes.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 08:26AM

Donald, turning BY HAND for 30 minutes? are you crazy?..lol..

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 08:49AM

Ben

Golly, I don't think I'm crazy despite the long line of those whose thinking is to the contrary! I do, however, freely admit to being old school to a fault.

Seriously, I'm continually surprised that builders will invest significant time and money in a custom build and then begrudge investing another 30 minutes or so in a simple and easy process that has a high probability to ensure success.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 09:59AM

Donald, i bet you still mix epoxy by hand..lol..i hope you get that i,m not lol-ing at you..i actually enjoy turning by hand..you can get some unique shapes..my ice rods have double footballs or oval shaped epoxed thread wraps which can only be done by hand turning... but i don,t do this for money, that would take the fun out of it for me..your milage may vary as they say..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 10:52AM

When I first started building rods I did not have a rod turner, so I turned my rods by hand with then suspended between two chairs. I rotated the rods a quarter turn every 5 min for the first 1/2 hr, then every 10 mins for a mother 1/2 hr and the every 15 min for an hour or so. I stopped rotating after a couple of hours. The finish came out great. I admit using an electrical rod turner is much easier, and much more convenient, but a good finish can be obtained by hand rotation. Hand rotation was a great learning experience for me, it really gave me a great feel for how much epoxy to apply to get good coverage and leveling without sagging. I also still mix my epoxy by hand using a brush, and pop the bubbles using a butan torch.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 03:07PM

Dave,
If you are applying relatively thin finish and drying at 18 rpm ,the speed is likely leading to the foot balling of the finish.

Go ahead and apply at 18-100 rpm, but once you have the finish on where you want it and are in for the first 30 critical minutes of drying, use a dryer that turns at only 6 rpm.

Millions of rods are built every day that use a drying speed of 6 rpm for the fully drying time - after the quick initial finish application.

One nice way to achieve this variable speed is with the use of a small DC motor with a speed controller in series with the power supply.

I have made several for my own use, but Mud Hole also is selling one currently.

[www.mudhole.com]

------------------------
If you wish to make your own, simply obtain a lower speed dc gear motor, a speed controller and a power supply. Mount them up, attach your chuck to the motor shaft, mount the motor to a stand and you will be set.

A typical 50 rpm 12 volt dc motor:
[www.amazon.com]

A typical inexpensive motor speed controller:
[www.amazon.com]

A typical inexpensive 12 volt power supply:

[www.amazon.com]

Good luck

Date: May 29, 2018 06:57PM

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to guess that a "thin" coat is one where you can see thread lines after dry. Roger thanks I should have no problem putting one together ( I do carry a master electrician license in 3 states). Just this one post and I feel so much smarter now. I've got a headache I need a drink....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster