I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paracord Wrapped Grips
Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.57.---)
Date: May 27, 2018 10:02AM

Hello everyone. I’m intrigued by the paracord wrapped grips and having a hard time finding information on them specific to fishing rods. (Tried doing a search here, before posting)

Anyways, I’ve got some questions if anyone doesn’t mind taking the time to answer.

1. They look awesome, but how are they functionally for fishing rods? Do they last? Any certain applications you’d recommend not using this type of grip for? (For instance fly fishing, what about offshore rigs?)

2. Do you seal it after it’s wrapped ? If so with what/how?

3. Is there a preferred type/brand/size?

4. Can anyone point me to a good reference to read/learn? As mentioned, I’ve been googling and going on YouTube, but I can’t find too much specific to rod building.

Thanks for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paracord Wrapped Grips
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2018 08:30PM

Emory Harry did an excellent article on many types of cord wrapped grips in Rod Maker magazine. Volume 9 #3 I think. They last a good long time, cord wrapped hand rails on our naval vessels get far more wear than any fishing rod and they last for a decade or better.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 08:46PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2018 10:51PM

Paracord has a cover over a core, which may not be the best way to go in terms of a corded fishing rod grip. You might want to look at braided nylon instead.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 28, 2018 02:52PM

Hello All.

I did a little reading for literature on "Cord" wrapped rods and techniques, there is a lot there and I hope I got all of it but if I didn't maybe someone will let me know, here goes;
V-12 / I-2 / Pg.18 "Turk's Head Knot" By Ross van Enckevort.
V-15 /I-6 / Pg.22 "Corded Tennessee" By Tom Kirkman.
V-18 / I-3 / P.12 "Grip And Handle Materials" By Unattributed.
V-18 / I-5 / Pg.16 "Cord Under Glass" By Tom Kirkman.

At this point I almost stopped but a series on "Ergonomics" By Tom Kirkman caught my eye, if you are interested they are;
Part 1: V-19 / I-4 / Pg.24.
Part 2: V-19 / I-5 / Pg.24.
Part 3: V-19 / I-6 / Pg.22.
Part 4: V-20 / I-1 / Pg.14.

If I missed anything, let me know.

Good Day.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: May 29, 2018 02:35AM

Cord wraps are extremely common in California, more specifically Southern California. Paracord, or atwood cord works fine with some polyurethane coating, but my personal preference is tarred seine twine, or bank line. It is resistant mold, moldy, and biodegradation. It also wears nicely over time and doesn't require a coating. It doesn't need glue to hold it on, and you can finish it with a decorative turks head knot. It will last decades if not longer.

Send me an email if you have any specific questions, or if you want to see any pictures.

Nick

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 30, 2018 02:10PM

It seems a paracord grip would quickly raise blisters on a fly caster, or a spin caster, or a bait caster, or anyone who didn't put their rod in a holder and wait for a hit? I'll bet other rod builders/anglers could use some education about the purpose and uses of cord grips?

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 30, 2018 02:51PM

I've used it twice. Once for the color. The second for a friend who shattered the wooden butt handle on his heavy rod. The first one I finished off with permagloss, it sealed perfectly and left the texture of the cord. The heavy rod handle I used many coats of Pro Kote heavy, enough to completely cover the cord. Both worked great for the intended purpose.

Posted by: Ken Patek (47.201.57.---)
Date: May 31, 2018 09:56AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ordered some cord from mud hole “Atwood Rope” which I think is paracord without the core. I’ll post pics (if they’re internet worthy...lol)

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:05PM

Hey Ken,

Steve Paterson has a very informative c.d. on the subject.
It's available at Mudhole.
Rooster Custom Cord Handles.
Check it out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster