I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sturgeon rod build
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 09:44AM

I just received an inquiry about building a 20/50 lbs sturgeon rod. This will be a first for me as I've only built fly rods. Other than looking at pictures I'm not sure what goes into a good rod, such as guides, handles(cork Eva), guides , one piece blank, 2piece, reel seat, etc .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sturgeon rod build
Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.64.---)
Date: May 26, 2018 11:00AM

You can get some awfully nice recipes from Batson's for that build.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 01:11PM

Will this rod be used for still fishing, casting and drifting, deep drop, trolling? Form should follow function.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 01:26PM

Rob,
Is it line wt., or fish size your mentioning?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 02:01PM

Actually a glass rod like this one that you can purchase for $20 - makes a very good sturgeon rod.

Often, with sturgeon, you bait up a big hook with a gob of night crawlers and a heavy pyramid weight and 50 lb line on the reel.

Drop the line to the bottom, drop the rod in a rod holder and have lunch.

When the fish bites, the tip will bend, the clicker on the reel will go off signaling a bite.

Put down your sandwich, take the rod out of the rod holder and reel in your 60 lb sturgeon.

[www.cabelas.com]

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.113.---)
Date: May 26, 2018 06:14PM

Roger Wilson:

Drop the line to the bottom, drop the rod in a rod holder and have lunch.

When the fish bites, the tip will bend, the clicker on the reel will go off signaling a bite.

Put down your sandwich, take the rod out of the rod holder and reel in your 60 lb sturgeon.

All fishing should be that easy .

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 07:50PM

It sounds like he is saying ounce for ounce a bluegill has more spunk..lol.

Date: May 27, 2018 08:00AM

As I said before I'm only trying to find some information on this type of rod as I don't have a point of reference as to the correct way to make a surgeon rod. I'll ask about how the rod will be fished. Sturgeon and blue gills are at opposite end of lbs scale!!!!!

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2018 08:53AM

Robert you can use a muskie blank of choice and length to suit your/customer needs or wants as for the grips I would use eva for it and cork for the fore grip tied in with a good set of Fuji HN Heavy Casting & Boat Guides no need to get all crazy with a concept set of guides to me that is kind of a waste of $$ as it will be in a rod holder more often than in hand for the seat this would be a good choice SCRSD Deluxe Graphite Casting Reel Seat for the blank if you want around 7 ft this one should fit the build Musky Rod Series - MKY76HF OR you can get a blank that is up to 9 ft you have to remember that they don't make species specific blanks for every fish and a blank is ajust that and doesn't know if you hooked a muskie, sturgeon,catfish, or something from saltwater.
Hope this helps you get a start

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: May 27, 2018 11:10AM

Best information so far. Thanks Matt.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2018 03:59PM

you can E mail me if you have any other questions always willing to help with out the side show comments

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: May 27, 2018 05:01PM

Ok. Thankyou

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 29, 2018 11:51AM

From our RainShadow lineup we’d recommend our SWB70MH or 80MH
Ignore the line rating, they hold up to the largest - it’s what our guides on the Fraiser river use for Sturgeon.

Specs and Blueprints are available at [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 29, 2018 06:37PM

It's not the target species but the amount of power the rod can provide versus the amount of sensitivity the rod can provide which should influence your blank choice. I can't think of much that influences selection of a rod blank besides the trade-off between power and sensitivity and the trade-off between length and weight which determine rod choice. Well, price and guarantee [which are not attributes of the blank but of the vendor] are also considerations.

Date: May 31, 2018 06:28PM

Here is an example of the new State Sturgeon record for MN. Notice that the fisherman was using a musky rod with 80 lb test line to catch the fish.

[www.foxnews.com]

So, it would certainly seem that a rod blank suitable for musky fishing would work just fine for Sturgeon fishing.

Good luck

Date: June 01, 2018 11:53AM

Ok Matt I'll take you up on your offer. The customer wants a 6'6" rod to fish for sturgeon. Also s.s. boat guides, no inserts, and. I.e.guessing that the guides would be bridged. The reel is Penn Senator 4/0. Apparently these reels have a size aka 16 so the correct size seat is used. I plan to use EVA handles but may use a cork upper grip or possibly turn a wood composite upper. Bait fishing in water to 120'.
Customer is leaving a lot up to me a and I've only built fly rods so I need to pick brains of other people willing to share what they know. Are there any kits to be had? Some of the catalogues have complete handle sets.
I've been on YouTube to see how the handles are glued in place. One guy used liquid rubber cement on the handles and epoxy on the seat. Any information tricks short cuts. Bit of a learning curve here but I have a 6'6" spin casting rod to build so I'll have more information to use when I get to that.

Date: June 01, 2018 03:40PM

Robert,
You could go to a sporting goods store and take a look at the type rod you intend to build.

When gluing the grip in place and the reel seat in place, I prefer to use slow drying epoxy for both.

For this sort of rod, I would use a rear grip that is at least 10 inches long and a fore grip at least 4 inches long and possibly 5 inches long. Nice to have the fore grip wider than your hand so you can have a good rest when you are holding the big fish.

Also, with sort of rod, I would have the fore grip the same size as the rear grip. You want a "handle" in front of the reel that you can grab and exert leverage.

Good luck and good fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster