I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying epoxy to the rod decal
Posted by: Douglas Respress (---.sub-174-235-137.myvzw.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 08:04AM

When I applied the epoxy to the decal on my new build it pushed it away in some spots. Does anybody have any salutations to this problem? I haven’t touched the decal with my fingers or anything. I have seen a couple things saying you can put clear fingernail polish on the decal. Then apply the epoxy over the top of it. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying epoxy to the rod decal
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 09:03AM

Doublas,
One thing that I always do, before applying the decal, is to wrap the decal on a small round stick. When doing this, I wear cloth gloves so that the gloves slip over the decal without marking or grabbing at the decal. I like to use a stick or rod that is about 1/2 the size of the rod blank to which I am sticking the decal. I will often take a piece of paper and do a few wraps around the wrapped on decal and then put a couple of binders over the paper as well.

The thing that I am trying to accomplish with the decal wrapping on a smaller rod is to acclimate the decal to the round shope on which it will eventually be transferred. It seems to work pretty well. I have had no issues in decal lifting since using this method of decal preparation.

The other thing that I will do after applying the decal is to wrap the decal with a soft cloth and then using finger pressure, spin the blank while using a lot of finger pressure to insure that all parts of the decal are well adhered to the blank with no air bubbles under the decal anywhere.

The final thing that I do when applying epoxy is to never brush over the decal with the finish brush. Rather, I apply the finish on the back side of the blank and using a generous amount of finish that is very thin, let the finish flow over the decal with out having a brush run over the surface of the decal. On the dryer, the turning of the rod with thin finish will let the finish flow perfectly over the decal without putting any pressure at all of any sort on the decal.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 09:05AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Douglas Respress (---.sub-174-235-143.myvzw.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 09:30AM

I haven’t had any issues with the decals wanting to lift. Just when applying the epoxy it repelles in certain places for some reason.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 10:59AM

Douglas,

Just apply a couple of coats of color preserver and let it dry. Then apply the epoxy. The color preserver will stop all kinds of problems encountered when epoxying over decals.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 11:04AM

I would used color preserver over it first..

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.64.---)
Date: May 26, 2018 11:04AM

It's possible for a little of the decals adhesive to squeeze out when pressed to the blank. That adhesive may repel the finish, particularly on the edges.

Posted by: Douglas Respress (---.sub-174-235-143.myvzw.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 11:52AM

Thanks guys. I will give that a try.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 12:21PM

The way I do it:

Apply a coat of epoxy to the blank where the decal will be placed and let the epoxy cure;

Apply decal onto the prepared epoxy area and use a burnishing tool with VERY LIGHT pressure to remove air bubbles if any and seal the decal edges;

Apply a cost of CP with special attention to the decal edges, and;

Finish with 2 or more THIN applications of epoxy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 02:04PM

Douglas,
One very very important thing to do with decals and that is to never handle the decals with a bare hand. Rather, always have a cloth or latex glove on your hand when touching the decal.
That way, the oil in your hands will never be transferred to the decal.

Good luck

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-135.myvzw.com)
Date: May 26, 2018 04:26PM

Maybe i got lucky on my decal install and coating. I took an alcohol pad and wiped the rod blank where i was going to install decal, i figured from rod handling there could be residue in the rod blank from your hands. I let it dry installed decal using my bare hands and after it set for a bit i used a alcohol pad on decal and area let dry then put my expoy over it while running on drier and so far so good no lifting at all on any edges or discoloration.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.113.---)
Date: May 26, 2018 04:44PM

Decal connection mentions nothing about color preserver on their detailed instructions for applying their decals .

Instructions:

Before you begin the application process, place a thin coat of epoxy on the blank where you will be placing the decal and let dry.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

This step provides a flawless surface for the decal to adhere to. Without this step, we do not guarantee decal.

The decal will come pre-cut to size with excess decal material removed from it.

The decal itself comes sandwiched between the backing and a top carrier sheet. This allows you to handle the decal without touching its adhesive side and only touching the carrier sheet.
To Apply the Decal:

Lift the carrier sheet from the backing. The decal will peel up with the top sheet.

Place the decal down on the rod in the desired position.

Start from the middle and rub the bubbles from there to the edge. You may rub firmly or take a finishing tool and rub over the carrier sheet.

Peel the carrier sheet away and the decal remains in place. Your fingers never need to touch the decal because you have the carrier sheet to hold on to it.

Once applied, you are ready to apply your finishing coat of epoxy over the decal.

I would like to know if this is something that should be done with all decals because i think it's safe to say everybody wants to get it right the first time . There's got to be some, other than Bruce who have NOT used color preserver and everything turned out great right ? Anybody .... anybody .......maybe Bruce is the only one . Some guys have all the luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 09:44PM by herb canter.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.218-62-69.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: May 26, 2018 10:14PM

With most decals, the most important thing, is that there is a layer of epoxy UNDER it. It's an extra step, but then there is no difference in the refractive index on the material associated with the decal. That helps to hide the edges of the decal.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.113.---)
Date: May 27, 2018 02:16AM

Drew Pollock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With most decals, the most important thing, is
> that there is a layer of epoxy UNDER it. It's an
> extra step, but then there is no difference in the
> refractive index on the material associated with
> the decal. That helps to hide the edges of the
> decal.

Thats extremely helpful info because i thought the layer of fresh epoxy was solely for better adhesion and had nothing to do with blending in much better , makes sense though.

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2018 07:12PM

In addition to applying an epoxy undercoat, after the decal is applied, I use a small rubber printer's roller to smooth the edges and eliminate air.
Works great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster