I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProKote Tacky
Posted by: Charles Backes (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 04:11PM

My second application of ProKote didn't quite cure properly. It is just a bit tacky after a week of cure time. I suspect that I got the proportion off. What is the solution? I'm wondering if a third coat will seal off the tacky on or will this multiply the error.

I appreciate any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProKote Tacky
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2018 05:23PM

At this point it's worth a try, but you're going to have to do something different than what you did on the first two applications if you hope for better results. Are you using syringes to measure your parts? How much of each part are you using?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 06:30PM

wipe it down with acetone and re coat with an accurate mix should harden if not just take it all down to and start over

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 07:01PM

What Paul suggested is your best bet with the least amount of effort , warn your epoxy up some before you mix 75 deg will work , an have the ares you are working in about 75 deg F,
if it don't work R & R . start over ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 24, 2018 07:36PM

Thanks Tom. I mix 3 to 3 but I think that I shorted Part A on the last mix. The first one and all other coats on other rods were fine.

Date: May 24, 2018 07:38PM

I think that I will give the acetone trick a try. It's a personal rod, so once again a learning opportunity!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 07:46PM

Charles,
Please don't wipe the finish down with Acetone.

Once you start down that path, you will have to keep at it until the finish and the wraps are gone.

If you want to strip the guides and start over, by all means use the Acetone. It will help quicken the removal process.

Be safe

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.64.---)
Date: May 24, 2018 07:47PM

If your finish is still tacky, acetone will make it worse. It's gonna get gummy.

Date: May 31, 2018 05:35PM

I thought that I'd give an update to my post. I did not wipe the tacky finish with acetone, nor did I strip it. Instead, I carefully mixed a new batch and applied it over the tacky coat. It cured perfectly, so hopefully it will hold up. Thanks again for all of the input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster