I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KR Concept guide layout help
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: May 24, 2018 07:22AM

Good morning! I'm working on a rod that is a little out of my area. Tried using the KR GPS tool but I can't select the weight of braid I need to give me the larger guide layout (It will allow for 15-20 which gives me the 20H, 10H, and 5.5M layout). Here are the specs:

7'3 Medium Fast blank

Total length: 87"
Tip of spool axle: 12"
Reel size: 5000 (It's a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 4500. I'm assuming they're like the 2500s in that they have the same body as the reel one size up. Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Conventional/Micro: Micro
Braid: 40 lb

I ordered a 25H, 12H, 5.5M, then 5.5 KB and KT runners to a 6 tip. Unfortunately this guy lives 4 hours away and I don't have access to one of these reels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KR Concept guide layout help
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 09:18AM

KR is an "iffy" recommendation above 30# braid but you can get the result you want by entering 14-17# mono. IMO you'll be fine with the 40# using the guide train you have selected with the 25H stripper.

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 10:09AM

I was just fishing a rod that i set up with a KL-H 25 - 12H - 5.5M -5.5 KB and size 5 KT runners on out and it's amazing . I did what Jim suggested and put in 14-17 mono and the reel i put in was a 4000 size Stradic FK . The Stradic's propulsion line management system with it's worm gear oscillation and spool lip design throws smaller coils than many other reels which is a big plus.

Date: May 24, 2018 11:24AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> KR is an "iffy" recommendation above 30# braid but
> you can get the result you want by entering 14-17#
> mono. IMO you'll be fine with the 40# using the
> guide train you have selected with the 25H
> stripper.

Thanks Jim!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 11:51AM

I have not seen or heard of a Stradic Ci4 + 4500/5000. Might be a new reel. I know Shimano recently released new Stradic SW models but only in 4000 and 5000 sizes. In any case the KR guide layout will be very similar for both a 4000 and 5000 reel size, and should work great. May need an extra runner or two then what’s given in the KR GPS.
Norm

Date: May 24, 2018 12:16PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have not seen or heard of a Stradic Ci4 +
> 4500/5000. Might be a new reel. I know Shimano
> recently released new Stradic SW models but only
> in 4000 and 5000 sizes. In any case the KR guide
> layout will be very similar for both a 4000 and
> 5000 reel size, and should work great. May need an
> extra runner or two then what’s given in the KR
> GPS.
> Norm

Thanks Norm, now that I'm looking at it they don't appear to exist. I sent him a note asking him to check that out for me, because that will change things for sure if he really meant 2500.

Date: May 24, 2018 12:34PM

He got back with me. It's a 4000 Ci4+. Thanks for that catch Norm!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2018 12:41PM by Seth Johnson.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 24, 2018 01:07PM

With all the variables while actually fishing, such as line (braid or mono), line diameter (pound test) spool diameter (spin reels) or spool width (conventional reels) it's hard to believe one size or one guide spacing scheme is best?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2018 02:12PM

Sometimes I just have to shake my head as I wonder out loud and ask ............. why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2018 02:13PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 24, 2018 03:23PM

Actually it's not Phil. That's the reason the GPS apps ask the questions they do - to narrow things down for a more specific selection. Even then it's only a suggestion, you can put guides anywhere you want.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 24, 2018 07:27PM

Of course it's only a suggestion. I am convinced that the best advice for rod builders is a function of knowing the most specific needs and uses of the rod owner.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 25, 2018 11:13AM

I forgot who on this site said to build for mono...braid don,t care..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster