I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TipTop Glue
Posted by: Chase Timmons (207.45.155.---)
Date: May 15, 2018 11:52AM

Hey guys,

I was wondering what everyone uses to glue their tiptops on? Do you use tip top cement or just any adhesive/glue?

I've used a couple different outdoor/marine adhesives from the hardware store that i had lying around and they seem to work fine.

Any issues or concerns with certain products?

Thanks!

-Chase

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TipTop Glue
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2018 01:17PM

Chase,

I live in CA where we get plenty of hot sun, especially in the summer. As a result, I use 5 minute epoxy on all of my tip tops. I found the hot melt available for tip tops would soften in the sun while laying on the deck of a boat and allow them to twist. If I need to remove a tip top, I just gentle hear them with a lighter and remove with a pair of pliers. I don't think you need to be concerned with the glue you have currently been using.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.43.178.26.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 01:22PM

I use 5 min epoxy as well.

I like to use a thread pick to place the epoxy inside the tube. Slide the tube onto the rod. Spin it around once. Then clean up the excess with a paper towel and alcohol.

Posted by: John DeMartini (104.129.204.---)
Date: May 15, 2018 01:47PM

Chase

I use 5-minute epoxy. It gives me plenty of time to install the tip and eyeball it and adjust it until it is perfectly lined up.

John

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 02:28PM

Flex- Coat tip adhesive or the old amber colored Fuji tip glue. Don't be tempted by South Bend (I was, in a pinch) it will not hold up in hot conditions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 02:32PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 02:34PM

rod tips are so thin and guide tubes so short that you almost have to use epoxy..

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-15.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2018 03:21PM

I live in Texas and I would argue that our summers that boast 50+ days of 100 degree heat and high humidity will blow the doors off any other summer heat in the USA, besides death valley, but that is a dry heat...

Anyway, back on topic, we stand by our Tip Top Adhesive. It would take temperatures of over 270 degrees to soften it. Our adhesive is used on the largest offshore rods you can imagine and still holds strong. Also, if your tip top needs replacing, no worries. Just heat it up and slide it off and put on a new one. No big deal.

I hope this helps.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 08:13PM

I never use 5 min epoxy for tip tops, or any other type of outdoor or marine adhesive, they may cause problems when you need to replace a tip top. I totally agree with John Cates, I use the Flex coat tip top adhesive. In my opinion it is the best way to attach a tip top without any subsequent problems. I have had problems replacing tip tops that have been epoxied in place. It takes more heat to break an epoxy bond then it does to melt the Flex coat adhesive. This extra heat may cause the blank to break down and fold over at the tip, thus requiring tha damaged area to be cut away. It does not happen every time but often enough that it is not worth taking a chance.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2018 08:23PM

Hot melt glue, provided you actually manage to get it inside of the tiptop, will hold securely for years and years. There are different types and some melt at a higher temp than others. The stuff Flex Coat sells has no doubt been selected for the proper melting point.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 09:00PM

i don,t mind cutting the guide off..only loosing 3/8"..i don,t recall ever replacing a tip top more than once on the same rod and i work my rods especially flippers which have never had guides of any sort replaced..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 10:03PM

I replace a lot of tiptops on all types and makes of rods, almost all for other people who may not take as good a care of their rods as you and I do. I do mind losing part of the tip on a rod especially when it’s not necessary. Hot melt cement works great, if you don’t use it, try it. One stick will last for a very long time.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (104.129.204.---)
Date: May 16, 2018 07:41AM

When I have to replace a tip on a clients rod, I do not know what adhesive was originally used so to be safe I have to approach it as though it were epoxied (worst case) and carefully remove it.

I use 5-minute epoxy, because it gives me plenty of time to install the tip and eyeball it and adjust it until it is perfectly lined up.

It is unlikely that that tip would ever have to be replaced again, but if it does one has to carefully remove it and start over..

The bottom line is use the adhesive with which you have the most confidence.

John

Posted by: Chase Timmons (207.45.155.---)
Date: May 16, 2018 12:35PM

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of knowledge here.

-Chase

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2018 09:57AM

I''l throw something else out there. There is a product that I have been using from St Croix it's called Piccolastic hydrocarbon resin #D125 !!! This is a crystal like salt, just scoop the tube full heat and
slide the tip on with one rotation. It's hard as a brick, if you ever had the tip top glue come out the end and have to pick at it for five minutes to clean the tip, it won't happen. If it comes out let it dry and just pick it off. Clean as a whistle !!

However If i an doing a big tip I still only use Flex Coat tip top glue just to save my D125.

Tom

Posted by: John Allgood (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2018 01:36PM

I use the flex coat tip top cement.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2018 09:48PM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I''l throw something else out there. There is a
> product that I have been using from St Croix it's
> called Piccolastic hydrocarbon resin #D125 !!!
> This is a crystal like salt, just scoop the tube
> full heat and
> slide the tip on with one rotation. It's hard as
> a brick, if you ever had the tip top glue come
> out the end and have to pick at it for five
> minutes to clean the tip, it won't happen. If it
> comes out let it dry and just pick it off. Clean
> as a whistle !!
>
> However If i an doing a big tip I still only use
> Flex Coat tip top glue just to save my D125.
>
> Tom

This is all i have been using for 2 years now and it is the best i have ever used bar none.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster